U.S. Capitol Police officer dead after events resulting from Trump riot

Stroke is often the means of death from a head injury.

20 Likes

Exactly having a Stroke after an assault is not having a stroke of natural causes.

9 Likes

Participants in a crime where someone dies (one of the perpetrators or one of the defenders, doesn’t matter) are all guilty of murder.

4 Likes

@xeni UPDATE-

Report Of U.S. Capitol Police Officer’s Death Inaccurate https://www.npr.org/sections/congress-electoral-college-tally-live-updates/2021/01/07/954333542/four-dead-police-injured-dozens-arrested-after-siege-at-the-u-s-capitol?sc=18&f=1001

6 Likes

I didn’t realize there was an assault involved. My bad.

Funny thing is I’m actually professionally dealing with a situation involving a question whether a head injury is a causal link to a stroke. Doctor report and medical literature and everything.

Man has a very minor rear end car accident and 4 days later dies of a stroke. His son’s lawyers want the hospital stay covered by his auto insurance policy. The insurer says the stroke didn’t arise from use and operation of the vehicle and denies the claim.

The correlation with the accident is the family’s primary argument. The 4 day delay, the man’s prior medical history, and lack of a head injury noted by ER doctors after the stroke, work in favor of the insurer.

2 Likes

But this was after being hit in the head with a fire extinguisher by a terrorist. That is felony murder.

ETA: Although dueling reports suggest he either was or was not removed from lifesupport following the stroke, and I have no way of knowing which is correct.

9 Likes

looks like they’re letting the family visit first

10 Likes

Been there, done that. It sucks.

8 Likes

source probably announced it as “they’re taking him off life support” and now everybody’s arguing about whether this inevitable thing has technically happened yet

8 Likes

Gotta love those pedants, ever so fucking helpful.

5 Likes

well, now he did actually die. i had read somewhere he was hit in the head with a fire extinguisher but who knows if that is true.

1 Like

as of december, 304 officers were known to have died of covid, about 3 times more than any other cause. and it’s probably an underestimate.

yes, trump is directly responsible for the death of the officer at the capitol, but he’s also responsible for many many more

13 Likes

Charging thousands of people with murder just because one person was killed is not a precedent that would support justice. Many peaceful protests, including many this summer, involve criminal activities like trespass. Do we want to go back and charge everyone involved with a protest where someone was killed?

The point of comparing the response to this riot with the BLM response is to emphasize how fascist they were then, not to encourage fascism now.

11 Likes

Agreed. You don’t want a precedent where we cannot sentence Kyle Rittenhouse before we’re worked out how many people were or weren’t his accomplices in the murder - just based on them being at the scene of the crime.
Then the investigation dragging on for years as you investigate, compare the statements, check alibis etc of all those people.

2 Likes

Even certain types of chiropractic adjustments can lead to strokes. So the idea that a car accident would do a stroke seems plausible. But I don’t know what the time frames are for that.

3 Likes

“Really, truly dead” now; a fact.

I dont think a murder charge is in order here, but every insurrectionist who made it into the capitol is culpable to manslaughter, IMO.

Will they all get charged that way?

OF COURSE FUCKING NOT: THEY’RE WHITE.

11 Likes

Oh a murder charge is definitely in order unless the people who murdered him were acting in self defense.

I meant blanket murder charges for everyone involved.

I don’t agree with that.

Now good evening.

5 Likes

Well, I doubt that trespass alone would allow for someone to be charged with felony murder. The crime they’re committing at the time also has to be a felony for that to happen.

Though I suppose the rioters in this case may well have committed a few.

Felony murder is an utterly barbaric throwback which has been ruled unconstitutional/repealed in most of the world. Don’t go there.

5 Likes