U.S. Capitol Police officer dead after events resulting from Trump riot

I suppose it is plausible that a non-reported soft tissue injury (e.g. whiplash) may have contributed to or triggered reactions leading to a stroke, but it is unprovable, I suspect.

Indeed it does. Worse when the medics have to leave the decision to you, formally, having made it clear it is the only, inevitable outcome. Been there, done that, too.

2 Likes

Which is what the insurance company is relying upon.

3 Likes

Brown skinned foreigners are never innocent. Not to Trump and his kind. But to the earlier point, yes, a dead policeman just might slow down his veto pen.

4 Likes

Felony murder was already on the table when one of their accomplices was killed in the burglary of the Capitol. Setting aside my personal feelings about felony murder, they’ve met the definition since the first day.

The Times says he was struck in the head with a fire extinguisher. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/us/brian-sicknick-police-capitol-dies.html

Further update from that link he is now dead, despite the earlier report being premature.

3 Likes

Trump is gonna get a hand cramp writing out all those federal pardons. :confused:

1 Like

That happened to my grandfather. His car was rear-ended while parked. He walked away from the accident and passed two days later from a subdural hematoma. :worried:

5 Likes

Based on whatever you can get your medical expert to say in a peer review in court.

5 Likes

And for a price you can get a “medical expert” to say pretty much anything.

6 Likes

Yup. Its why medical malpractice cases are some of the most expensive to litigate.

2 Likes

Preach

3 Likes

A stroke can be caused by anything which causes a blood clot to go to the brain. Could be an injury anywhere in the body.

1 Like

And with the issue I am dealing with at work, “can be caused” is not going to be enough for the people suing the insurance company to get the auto policy to cover the E/R visit. They need to show it was the cause. With a medical expert of their own. The insurer had their expert, the family of the deceased don’t.

So it comes down to a burden of proof/causation situation

2 Likes

Capitol murder. But, less snarkily, yes: “felony murder” or murder in the third degree. As in, not premeditated.

It is horrible. A horrible way to go, and I am sorry. For your loss and your/his other loved ones.

My father in law was simply walking to the mailbox, tripped and hit his head on the street. Subdural hematoma and massive brain injury. He was rushed into surgery within minutes and they tried their best. We had the best neurologists in the area on the case, since he himself was a doctor and well-connected. He lingered for about two weeks (utter hell for our family) and then finally passed away after our decision to remove supplemental oxygen. I mean no hyperbole that this was hell.

For this police officer, I heard he was hit by a fire extinguisher. A subdural hematoma is the most likely explanation. I hope they have security footage and catch the criminal who did this.

4 Likes

Thank you. And also to you & yours.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.