Laptop killing booby-trapped USB drive

A bit chunkier version could be made from a salvaged disposable camera flash. With quite more oomph in the pulse.

I see it as a deterrent for those overly nosy people like cops or customs or those in forensics. Or thieves.

…or yourself after you forget you made it.

2 Likes

Hand it to the police when they ask for the password to your laptop. Tell them it’s an electronic key to unlock it. Done.

4 Likes

I think the obvious use here is to quickly destroy your own laptop (with solid-state drive) in order to prevent it from being compromised.

1 Like

pretty sure you would be jailed for using this device on someone. not only jailed but then the civil suit for blowing someone’s hands off wouldn’t be cheap either.

stun gun bike seat on the the hand…(literally because it was blown off)

1 Like

I’m disappointed that it’s ‘laptop-killing USB drive’, not ‘laptop killing a USB drive’. I was hoping for details of a modified laptop that is able to explode malware-containing USB sticks.

I wonder if there’s a USB version of the etherkiller yet?

Optical isolation is a much better choice. The hubs run about $150.

1 Like

i should keep this on me at all times, so if i get arrested and they try to search the drive…not that i’m planning to be arrested any time but you know…better safe than sorry.

1 Like

Another reason to be wary of “found” thumb drives and unknown USB dead drops.

1 Like

You mean, you don’t pop those open to see what chips they run on?

But not necessarily in that order! Once one is arrested, messing with the laptop becomes unlikely. But computers are cheap enough now that if you regularly back up your data you could running again immediately.

Those poor cops! I bet they look crestfallen, like sad puppies.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.