Large iguana found in freezer of pizza restaurant in Florida

Iguana Trump; Donald’s first wife.

4 Likes

Gotta try that next time I’m in Puerto Vallarta. :pizza: :lizard:

1 Like

I was in Florida in February for 1 day. I was taken to the Wakodahatchee Wetlands, and saw iguanas. The only iguanas I had ever seen were a foot long and in an aquarium. I was completely unprepared to see a half-dozen 6 foot long lizard-shaped dinosaurs slither up a tree to get at birds. Or their nests. I was already gobsmacked by the alligator at the entrance, and the hundreds of mating storks, huge huge things that clacked their beaks, and the enormous ignuauas were so…Florida.
No wonder the people there act crazy - their everyday wildlife is so much more extra than anyplace else I’ve been.

3 Likes

There’s no way a single iguana was 80 lbs. I had a pet female green iguana for about 15 years and she was about 6 feet long and maybe 15 lbs.

5 Likes

I can testify that the iguanas in central Florida are BIG FAT ENORMOUS things that apparently eat all the mangoes from my mother’s neighbor’s tree. The tree is 40 feet. They are installing a 15 foot high metal ring around the tree so this year they can get mangoes.
The bigger ones I saw personally were about 6 ft long and fatter than my grandpup, a 70 lb rott mix.

3 Likes

“…health code violations that include more than 20 “rodent droppings”
Come for the iguana,
Stay for the guano!

2 Likes

Still better than finding half an iguana in a pizza restaurant freezer.

3 Likes

Keybilly here.
I wish I could respond to each of you individually, but I will try to “shotgun” this blanket reply:
Yes, people in the Keys hate these things. They eat the cultivated orchards, fruits and pretty much all of the garden!
Calling BS on "some people in the Keys eat them (really desperate Keybillies, maybe…?). Also seriously question the 80lb thing. I see iggies everyday, from 3ft to 5-6ft and the largest couldn’t top 50lb, or maybe I might grill me some tacos de iguana al pastor.
“Chicken of the tree” yup, heard that all over Central America, from Oaxaca to Belize. However, in those places the indigenous iguanas are depleted, even endangered in some locales, (due in no small part to exotic pet smugglers).
Iggies can carry salmonella, only poop in water and so they can be a health hazard pooping in your pool (if you’re rich enough to afford that here. Resorts really have to keep them out of the swimming pools.)
I really like @marence 's wondering if “crazy Florida wildlife adding to the cray of Floridians”. I couldn’t agree more! I guess, though, you missed the monkey invasion in Fort Lauderdale/ Miami. Or the 15ft invasive Burmese pythons in the 'glades! Good times!
And one more: “eat the invasives”.
LOVE IT. Lionfish! Yes! Eat them ALL! I am active in reef restoration here in the Keys and we remove invasive lionfish with prejudice! They make the most excellent ceviche! African snails and their roe… no fucking thanks!
“and that’s all I have to say about that”
y’all want some conch chowder?

5 Likes

Florida is so flat, it makes Kansas and Nebraska look hilly. So don’t worry. A few (very few) rise in feet of sea-level and Florida is mostly gone.

1 Like

Are you trying to make me wish for sea level rise?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.