Large pet tarantula stranded on California roof was... not that

Originally published at: Large pet tarantula stranded on California roof was… not that | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Daylight come and I wanna go home…

20 Likes

Was Ziggy Stardust up there with the Spiders from Mars?

10 Likes

Funny thing about that song (which I love):

Tarantulas are generally not “deadly.”

Also, I must:

22 Likes
11 Likes

Slow news day?

2 Likes

Why would they assume it was a pet tarantula or in need of rescue? There are several tarantula species native to California even if they are rarely seen in the suburbs.

9 Likes

Exactly and would any spider have a hard time getting off a roof?

10 Likes
18 Likes

Three autumns ago I was fortunate enough to (finally!) spot a tarantula promenade across our workplace parking lot. The end of workday and everyone was anxious to make their rideshare hookups and get going. Me? I stopped to study the little guy, then started waving my arms and yelling. “Look! A tarantulla!” Vehicles stopped and people got out to get a close look. “Oh. A big one.” “Ah, look at that.” (Even the high-desert dwellers stopped to look.) It was trying to get across a path that linked two parking areas, so it was definitely in danger of being run over. One of the guys gently picked it up and carried it into the foliage near the direction it appeared to be heading. (My co-workers are very respectful of nature, I’ve learned.)

17 Likes

I love these guys so much.

1 Like

Humanely?

Some lady called animal control once because of a “Cat that was being hanged off the edge of the roof of my house”…

It was October.

The animal control lady and I had a bit of a laugh about my halloween bat decoration (which in no way looked like a cat).

You’d think that if you saw a tarantula out in the daylight anywhere, and it hadn’t moved for a long time…

3 Likes

I’d assume it’s a Norwegian Blue. Those need a lot of rest.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I could see a nice pivot from slaying vampires to working in animal control. Good on her.

5 Likes

Buffy Tarbox is an AMAZING name.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.