Later this month, look up to see Jupiter and Saturn appear closer together than they've been since the Middle Ages

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/03/later-this-month-look-up-to-see-jupiter-and-saturn-appear-closer-together-than-theyve-been-since-the-middle-ages.html

3 Likes

futurama-bender-neat

14 Likes

When the stars were right, They could plunge from world to world through the sky; but when the stars were wrong, They could not live. But although They no longed lived, They would never really die.

The Haabʼ was made up of eighteen months of twenty days each plus a period of five days (“nameless days”) at the end of the year known as Wayeb’ (or Uayeb in 16th-century orthography). The five days of Wayebʼ were thought to be a dangerous time. Foster (2002) writes, “During Wayeb, portals between the mortal realm and the Underworld dissolved. No boundaries prevented the ill-intending deities from causing disasters.”

4 Likes

I’m super excited about this. We’re getting the car out of storage to be able to drive somewhere with better visibility.

5 Likes

Or as it’s known in the fringe parts of the web, the “great awakening” when our chakras all align and the portals open up or some such shit…also I think trump will be unveiling JFK,jr. back from the dead to be his new running mate during this alignment.

3 Likes

This is what I love (read: hate) about listening to armchair astrologers (as opposed to board certified astrologers with a degree). Beyond “retrograde”, they really seem to have no clue about what’s happening astronomically.

Also, retrograde means “bad” in case you were wondering.

3 Likes

Having it happen on the winter solstice must be driving the occult absolutely batty. A conjunctions on the solstice is textbook “big magic stuff gonna happen” time.

3 Likes

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius

Age of Aquarius

/removes clothing

woo

7 Likes

Are you in a big city? I’m in a “streetcar suburb” and I have pretty good visibility. My walk home goes in the direction of this phenomenon so I’ve been able to watch it for a few weeks now. The two planets are a good distance of the roof/tree line.

2 Likes

Also a streetcar suburb, but one with enough light pollution that a drive to a relatively nearby dark sky park is worth it. We should probably get the car moving again anyway it has been a couple of months.

1 Like

Nice gif. The planet is really angry.

4 Likes

Fomalhaut, that’s the home of the Tcho-Tcho People, according to some sad shut-in*.

*By “sad shut-in” I am referring to HP Lovecraft, not me; though, in that particular respect, we are much alike.

3 Likes

I think you would be too, if your butt was always facing and really close to a giant burning ball of gas…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.