Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, and the Moon will line up on April 14, 15, 16

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/13/mars-saturn-jupiter-and-the.html

3 Likes

ETA: Oops, wrong one.

6 Likes

The stars are right
3 Likes

Last week was a full moon so this alignment of planets and moon will occur in … hang on… whips out calculator … let’s see … moon rises ~40 minutes later each day… takes the sum of the integral of the square root of arctan of the distance between the ecliptic and the ancient Lighthouse of Alexandria times π ²…

… THE WEE HOURS OF THE FUCKING MORNING!!! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

13 Likes

Wait…what else has to happen to fulfill the prophecy? 'Cause the dawning of a new age sounds good right about now!

15 Likes

Pretty sure this will either kill us all or save us from coronavirus. Has to be one or the other right?

Sadly, while the air has cleared up beautifully, light pollution hasn’t gone away. I guess it’s probably better with sports stadiums and such closed, but there’s no way I’m going to get any good stargazing done in San Francisco, and it seems irresponsible to make a trip to a less developed area right now.

I so rarely get to see really good night sky but when I do it’s the closest I’ve ever come to a spiritual experience.

4 Likes

It’s amazing to see the night sky in some place far from a big city. Northern Wisconsin did it for me, but even rural parts of Illinois are hugely better than the Chicago area for a clear night sky.

At least my own town put full cut-off streetlights on all of the major thoroughfares, and the new LED replacements have a slight yellow tint instead of being bluish.

3 Likes

Or we all go blind and the Triffids appear.
“Do you want Triffids? Because that’s how you get Triffids!”
The Day of the Triffids, 1962 film

8 Likes

Yeah, if 2020 has taught us anything, it’s that this isn’t going to go well.

1 Like

“The Great Conjunction is the end of the world… or the beginning. End, begin. All the same! Big change! sometimes good, sometimes bad!”

—Aughra

4 Likes

I’ll probably be wide awake anyways. And there has never been a better time to walk butt-naked* around the neighbourhood.

Edit: *buck-naked sounds classier. I’ll try buck tonight.

3 Likes
1 Like

In my head it’s always “when Jupiter collides with Mars”. I know it’s “alligns”, but I just can’t shake it.

2 Likes

If that happened I guess the next line would become, “Then pieces will guide the planets” :thinking:

As a kid, I loved the book Sing Along with MAD. They had a parody of this song called “Smog of Los Angeles.” Here are the lyrics:

https://dancpharmd.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/mix-cd-redux-the-grand-canyon-mix/#comment-4828

1 Like

Fortunately I work during those wee hours of the fucking morning so I’ll have a chance to check it out. Unfortunately I live in Boston MA and while we did get a great view of the Super “Pink” Moon current conditions are lousy for the planetary phenom. Same thing happens around here with meteor showers.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.