Laugh at sovereign citizen antics in court

Why would it be unconstitutional to take them at their word?

8 Likes

the other one no GIF by Kissing Sisters

5 Likes

There was some discussion of this nonsense on our local Facebook group. The one thing no one could do was produce proof of a single case where this defense got them out of anything.

They all had websites and wording you’re supposed to use but no evidence it holds up in any court.

I have to make some federal tax deposits for my business, I think I’ll try telling them I’m opting out of the voluntary tax system.

8 Likes

Its more like a recipe for a court to throw the book at someone. Frivolous arguments annoy judges and juries. Annoying people deciding your fate is just dumb

9 Likes

They islands may be uninhabited, but that doesn’t mean they’re not unowned.

That said, here’s another place they can go live:

4 Likes

Of course sending people to these radioactive islands is how we get super intelligent crab monsters.

9 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think there’d be much to worry about here. You’re not getting super intelligent anythings with this lot as a founding population.

10 Likes

Ah, but then we can attack their weak point for MASSIVE damage

3 Likes

Ohhhhhhhhhh, if I could only hurl more than just derision upon them.

3 Likes

But only on a roll of a natural 20

2 Likes

At the heart of each sovereign citizen’s legal argument is the steadfast belief that reciting some specific sequence of words will release them from the rule of law like a magical incantation. It’s like watching a LARPer try to cast a sleeping spell at a charging grizzly bear.

21 Likes

I used to run into this sort of thinking all the time when I was doing IT Compliance work. People would think that by inserting what I called “magic words” into their documentation that they would be in the clear, despite not actually, you know, doing the work that was involved to comply with the regulation/policy/control/whatever

It was infuriating

10 Likes

I have this mental image of me turning a high-pressure hose on the three-cornered hat guy and sending him cartwheeling into the air and across the room. It soothes me.

7 Likes

Doesn’t “Comes now the plaintiff” feel like an incantation?

1 Like

Most of the 2021 murders were committed by people associated with longstanding extremist movements, such as white supremacy and the sovereign citizen movement.

ha. ha. ha.

Ok I spend a lot of my time listening to podcasts that are mostly about these vittupäistä and laughing at them. Laughing is better then screaming I guess…

6 Likes

This pretty much happened - a bunch of these gentlemen got “resisting arrest” and “contempt of court” added to their sheets.

7 Likes

Well no. Nowhere can they. This shit is all over the world now and as I always say it ends one of two ways.
1 “yes your honour, I will comply with the will of the court”
2 “bailiffs, detain this person for contempt of court”

Some day soon though, and unfortunately most likely in the US, there will be appointed a chucklefuck judge who goes along with it. Obviously any appeal will succeed but there’s already some pretty crazy judge shit out there.

8 Likes
6 Likes

Sorry, you aren’t wealthy enough for that.

12 Likes

That’s true but how did you know that?

Did Alexa leak the conversation me and the wife were having about who had cheaper toilet paper, Amazon or Costco?

3 Likes