Laughing gas is promising treatment for depressions, according to new study

Originally published at: Laughing gas is promising treatment for depressions, according to new study | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Tear gas, on the other hand…

12 Likes

This guy must surely be cured by now.

18 Likes

Treatment for depression commercials are about to become a lot more fun to watch.

12 Likes

LOL, & LOL again…

15 Likes

anyone in the parking lot of a phish concert could have told you that

9 Likes

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

7 Likes

That is not how you install Nos in your car. Guy watched the wrong The Fast and the Furious.

22 Likes

It is a shame that dentists don’t seem to use it any more.

Imagine - going to the dentist for a painful extraction as a cure for depression!

9 Likes

Can somebody (I’m looking at @Scientist and his prior crustacean dissertation experience) please try hotboxing a lobster with whippets?

7 Likes

stephen colbert GIF

4 Likes

I’m told some dentists still do use it, or will upon request anyway.

4 Likes

It would be easy enough to try.

Nitrous activates opioid receptors which then create an analgesic effect through inhibition of ascending pain signals through adrenergic pathways. The same adrenaline signaling has lots of other effects and would presumably be at play in the anti-depressive treatment.

Lobsters don’t have the brain areas in us that are being affected, but arthropods have little-studied opioid receptors so its possible whippets would work on them. As I say, it’d be easy to try

6 Likes

Huh. Mine does offer it, it costs extra but I’m game to pay because anxiety is a hellava thing.

I definitely felt better after my last filling (with nitrous oxide) but I figured it was because I’d finally started taking care of my teeth after a long bout of depression. Maybe it was both?

8 Likes

I wonder if dentists/doctors in places that have legalized psilocybin have tried microdosing patients.

3 Likes

“The Fast and… uh… what was I talking about?”

In theaters May 14th!

4 Likes

Nitrous activates opioid receptors which then create an analgesic effect through inhibition of ascending pain signals through adrenergic pathways…
Lobsters don’t have the brain areas in us that are being affected, but arthropods have little-studied opioid receptors so its possible whippets would work on them

Username checks out!

4 Likes

13 Likes

I’ll just leave this here.

6 Likes

When depression comes along,
You must whip it!
Before the screams go on too long,
You must whip it!
When something’s going wrong,
You must whip it!

12 Likes