Lawsuit filed over ginger ale allegedly containing no ginger

And if you don’t want to brew your own, Fentiman’s makes a very nice alcoholic ginger beer in addition to their regular ones.

4 Likes

And five more would yield a number of results to the contrary. including one of the primary papers cited in your example.

2 Likes

Why? No, honestly, why? “Ginger Ale” and “Ginger Beer” are not phantoms of corporate imagination. They are old preparations with some generally accepted ingredients, ginger being one of them. I’m actually pretty sure that this brand even advertises itself with ‘made from real ginger’ or something alike, but I’m not certain.

Yes, it is odd to expect honesty from a corporation that’s not extracted from them at the point of a lawsuit, but it’s not ridiculous. Certainly not more ridiculous than lawsuits filed in the past over ownership of words, abstract concepts, or numbers.

16 Likes

Wait, they were refering to the plant ginger? Yech, who would drink that?

2 Likes

In other news, Post Grape-Nuts contain neither grapes nor nuts. Quick, someone file a lawsuit!

3 Likes

In further related news, Welsh Dragon Sausages do not actually contain dragon meat.

7 Likes

You’re going to get real pissed when you find out that Fanta is probably not the best source of vitamin C for your breakfast…

2 Likes

Yes, and you personally can continue to pointlessly, needlessly, foolishly argue that ginger isn’t something to be used to soothe upset stomachs as well, despite millions of people all over the world having used it for that purpose for hundreds of years, but why bother? Let people enjoy things that work for them.

If Fanta put “contains real citrus fruit!” all over its packaging, I’d be a little bugged if I found out it didn’t actually have citrus fruit in it.

6 Likes

At least some of their packaging says real ginger:

(Mind you, I don’t think it’s made in Canada.)

15 Likes

This rates up there with someone suing over their coffee being too damn hot to drink.

Except the hot coffee lawsuit was legitimate. And i also assumed that particular brand of Ginger Ale contained or was made out of ginger, i think suing the company is a bit much but i wouldn’t say its meritless. The lady does indeed have a point, does she not?

11 Likes

Could this be one of those subtle “Made from X” being different than “Made with X”?

5 Likes

Because the ingredients are clearly listed on the back of the can.

3 Likes

Does it contain any posts?

9 Likes

Shit, does this mean there is no beer in root beer?

3 Likes

That’s because we’re living in a post-grapenuts world :wink:

6 Likes

It doesn’t contain any ale, either, which is the real outrage.

4 Likes

Or that Real Ginger is just a trademark name for something that isn’t real ginger?

4 Likes

Reminds me of the Benny Hill joke about the man who saw a sign that said Drink Canada Dry & he tried to.

13 Likes

Nobody who gives their kids comfort food when they’re sick really thinks it’s a cure. Carbonated beverages can help soothe upset stomachs, and this is one without caffeine. Plus there’s something to be said for making being sick a little less miserable for children, even if it means (gasp!) sugar. That’s all there is to it.

It’s long-term over-consumption that’s dangerous with sugar… and outrage.

15 Likes

Also, “Drink plenty of fluids” is an age-old recommendation for people who are sick with a common cold, because it actually does help. (Meaning, of course, clear, non-caffeinated non-alcoholic liquids.) And some tasty ginger ale is one way to get more liquids into your kids when they’re sick.

5 Likes