Lawsuit filed over ginger ale allegedly containing no ginger

Do you not have to put the little TM by it anymore? Maybe I didn’t see it there on the can. But that’s a good catch. You can ‘override’ the meaning of common words by doing that. Plus, in the US, at least, they allow a lot of ‘puffery’. Not sure if that applies here.

1 Like

23 Likes

Made by Ginger?

8 Likes

Well, I think the “Made from Ginger” is signifigantly different that “Made with Ginger” in your example. The “with” being much closer to your “by”, but just having the first person help her with the process. But I’m more of a Professor/Mary Ann type of person, anyway. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Try Schweppes or some artisanal brand.

1 Like

And, as I found out when I spilled a can, it isn’t actually dry.

12 Likes

Granted, the professor was a genius. His ginger ale was likely awesome, despite being made with coconuts.

5 Likes

Yes, Boing Boing should have better standards than to echo propaganda from the ‘tort reform’ corporate protectionism campaign.

7 Likes

Thx for posting about Hot Coffee - it’s one of the best socio-political documentaries I’ve ever seen!

2 Likes

Not cannibalism…she’s just topping up her fluids!

4 Likes

That would explain the flavor… (Or, rather, wood explains the flavor.)

3 Likes

12 Likes

Is Irn Bru (Iron Brew) brewed with Iron?

(Sort of, it has small amounts of 0.002% of ammonium ferric citrate though i doubt it is actually a brewed drink)

4 Likes

Soylent Ale

3 Likes

Apparently the running joke in Scotland is that it’s orange because it’s made from girders.

I say that because every single time I bought one in Scotland, the locals would say “Ah yer a yank! You like Irn Bru? It’s made from girders, you know!” and chuckle and wink. Never gets old :wink:

6 Likes

As is the claim that it is made from ginger.

One of those is wrong… and by law both should be true.

Ms Fletcher is not alone in suing over this. There is also this:

http://courtweb.pamd.uscourts.gov/courtwebsearch/mowd/cQiFIzGh9z.pdf#xml=http://courtweb.pamd.uscourts.gov/courtweb/PDFResult.aspx

which is a class action lawsuit in Missouri over the same thing.

The argument in that case is that Dr Pepper say that their product is “made from real ginger” and advertise, package and market it accordingly. A reasonable consumer, says the lawsuit, would be entitled to expect therefore that the end product will contain at least some detectable amount of ginger. Yet, say the plaintiffs, it does not.

Intriguingly the defence - whilst bringing such desperate arguments as "the claim is not sufficiently particularised because the plaintiff hasn’t stated when the commercials were broadcast - does not appear to argue that the drink does actually contain some measurable amount of ginger.

They argue that consumers are not entitled to expect a particular amount of ginger - based on cases where products have said things like “made from fruit and vegetables” and only contained tiny amounts of fruit and vegetables.

That of course deliberately misses the point that those products did at least contain some fruit and vegetables rather than none at all.

That claim was voluntarily dismissed a few months ago which I would guess means there was a settlement.

7 Likes

Yeah i saw the joke mentioned when i looked up Irn Bru this morning, wholly unrelated to this post… happy coincidence this thread came up later in the day (a friend is visiting Scotland right now). Also i tried finding the answer to “What is the Irn Bru flavor?” and as far as i can tell there’s no real answer? It’s just flavored to be something fruity but nothing specific… unless you buy a version like Pineapple Irn Bru or whatever.

1 Like

Well, is there any Canada in the drink?
Case closed…/s

3 Likes

It’s a very hard to describe flavor, and the electric orange color throws off your perception of what it’ll taste like. It’s a sort of vague bubblegum flavor with a bit of vanilla / cream-soda in there as well. I’d drink Pineapple Irn Bru in a hot second though!

4 Likes

From the same company:

1 Like