Lawsuit filed over ginger ale allegedly containing no ginger

Hey, it has got plenty of high fructose corn syrup, what more do you need?

On a related note, Red Rock Cider isn’t red, and there are no rocks in it.

2 Likes
1 Like

And 2 GINGERS® Whiskey doesn’t have ginger in it. But a Whiskey Ginger does have whiskey in it.

1 Like

Ginger Snaps: Lost Episode of Gilligan’s Island or Tasty Snack?

9 Likes

3 Likes

Pitch “Ginger Snaps. Ginger is ‘Carrie’ on Gilligan’s Island”

2 Likes

Is that when they meet The Others?

2 Likes

Soda McSodaface ?!

3 Likes

That would be the issue if Canada Dry marketed their product as medicinal, which they do not. The issue is whether there exist consumers who would assume that “ginger ale” contained some actual ginger, and if they would have bought it anyway knowing there wasn’t any.

2 Likes

Lithium is a sobriety agent?

2 Likes

@SeamusBellamy
Please do what they said. Dragging the McD cofffee canard into this demeans your otherwise solid post.

“No gingers were harmed in the making of this ale. (We just dipped them in for a bit to get some ginger essence.)”

5 Likes

Did there used to be a commercial that sang “Canada Dry tastes like love”?
Was I hallucinating, or was the ad company?

2 Likes
2 Likes

As noted earlier, so does the fact that Canada Dry Ginger Ale prominently features the tag “Made from Real Ginger” right on the can, in fairly large letters.

So, all in all, the post author is being entirely consistent in comparing this to the McDonald’s coffee incident, just in 180 degrees from the facts. In both cases the companies demonstrably did something that legitimately merits a lawsuit.

2 Likes

That’s been the tagline for their adverts for a very long time:

Supposedly coined by Brendan Behan, and also often repeated by George Best.

4 Likes

Thank you for clearing up that mystery for me! I didn’t get to see much TV when I was there and had no idea where that came from.

1 Like

Thank you!

It’s simpler than that. We already know with certainty that Canada Dry thinks people will buy Canada Dry specifically if they think it has real ginger in it. That is the only reason for the prominent tag on the can saying “Made from Real Ginger”.

3 Likes

That does not follow. It can be made from ginger and yet not contain any.

Even if the “made from ginger” claim turns out to be false, that is a matter for advertising regulation standards, and rules for this are very lax in the US. (In the EU, by contrast, I could see this being a real problem for the Doctor.) For the lawsuit the plaintiffs would have to show damages, and that would be difficult because of the comprehensive list of ingredients, which the plaintiffs are acting surprised to have discovered even though they’re on the back of every can. That’s why it is obviously ridiculous.

3 Likes

For the past hour or so, my brain has been repeating “It’s made from girders, you know!” in various Scottish accents. (Mainly actors seen on BBC shows thru the ages.)

Going by the “yanks” around me, and how I regularly have to translate British to American, I doubt many of them could understand what the stuff is made from. This makes the joke better and worse.

1 Like