Lawsuit: Texas's largest jail is full of people who are locked up for being poor

More likely a dead kennedy’s song.

2 Likes

You win : )

3 Likes

Texas. Not surprised.

No, that begins “Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit”, doesn’t it? :neutral_face:

The German anthem is not identical to the Deutschlandlied.

I fear you are taking me literally (or alternatively playing a very straight bat to my googly thinking) and missed the significance of the emoji. Full disclosure: I learnt German at school and yes, I do know the first verse of the Deutschlandlied. My comment about a certain car booking company was by way of a joke, but obviously not a good one.
(I also know enough German history to know what the Deutschlandlied was actually about, originally, the idea of loyalty to Germany rather than a collection of more or less ineffective States, and the forced union with Prussia under Bismarck. But we are now so far off topic there is a danger of falling over the edge.)

2 Likes

Nah, this is not a serious risk here. Before we’re falling a luck dragon will eat us : )

3 Likes

Technically ALL jails are full of people locked up for being poor. There is the occasional exception of the miscreant whose alleged crimes or potential flight risk making them ineligible for bail in the eyes of an arraignment judge. Other than them, it is pretty much all people who can’t post bond. The poor and those with poor relatives/friends/spouses.

Jail is not prison. One is supposedly not being punished for crimes, just being held to ensure you will show up for trial (and presumably not run amok in the time between arraignment and trial).

3 Likes

Well it helps to keep conviction counts low anyway. The felonies are still being committed, its just that nobody is bothering to arrest many of the well to do, “melanin challenged” over them.

1 Like

It was also written while on holiday in British territory (Heligoland was British at the time).

2 Likes

I had to look that up, and found this in Wikipedia about Heligoland:

“a land where there are no backers, no lawyers, and no crime; where all gratuities are strictly forbidden, the landladies are all honest and the boatmen take no tips”

Getting back a bit on topic, it sounds like the exact inverse of Texas.

4 Likes

It sounds like Lake Wobegone.

2 Likes

But without the De Molay Society.
Keillor fan here.

1 Like

The American justice system and gulag state is a crime against humanity. Full stop.

Never accept any other frame. It’s not “bad policy” or “stupid,” it’s a full-scale (and very, VERY profitable) crime against humanity, a manifestation of the subterranean white supremacy that forms the foundation of U.S. empire. Poor people, especially non-whites, are the victims…by the millions.

4 Likes

It’s mixed, actually. In most jurisdictions shorter sentences are served in jails, where those awaiting trial commingle with and are subject to the same conditions as the convicted.

1 Like

I learn something new every day!

I think there’s one in Los Angeles called Bad Boys Bail Bonds. Yep, just found it here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.