Learn about emergency medicine with Dr. Sam Ghali

Originally published at: Learn about emergency medicine with Dr. Sam Ghali | Boing Boing

Who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him?

1 Like

When people ask “why teach on social media?”

I used to work at the Shands Hospital on the UF campus while I attended university. Most of their facilities are “teaching hospitals”. It’s part of the philosophy.

I had a heart attack 3 three years ago. My ECG was actually normal. I started having chest pains on Friday, but they would come and go. I had an appointment with my primary that afternoon anyway, so when I went to her, she did an ECG, and it was normal. The pains continued on and off throughout the weekend, sometimes bad enough to leave me in tears. I have GERD pretty bad, so we both thought it was related to that. Oh, I was also hemodynamically stable. On Monday, I went to the ER. They did another ECG. It was still normal. They did bloodwork, though, and that showed elevated troponin levels, and that can really only mean a heart attack. My circumflex artery was nearly 100% blocked. Heart attacks can present in so many ways. My chest pain started in my throat, actually, and radiated out from there. I didn’t have any breathing problems or any other symptoms. Just pain. So yeah, hearts are weird, and our brains don’t really know how to interpret pain signals coming from them because that’s just not a normal thing. So if you have any chest pain, go straight to the ER. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. I got lucky.

5 Likes

I am emergency medicine affiliated
I watched the first clip and had an involuntary “Jesus!” out loud.
And then did the same thing with the EKG thumbnail. That pattern is called tombstones for more that just the visual analog

2 Likes

thanks for sharing your story! I’m so glad you’re ok!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.