Learn the coding language used by Google engineers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/27/learn-the-coding-language-used.html

Yes, Go was developed at Google, but never once have I seen it called “Google Go.” That’s weird. And if you’re trying to convince someone to learn Go, I think it’s worth mentioning that it was developed by Rob Pike and Ken Thompson!

6 Likes

Is there much of a market for programming in Go outside of google? are google employees responsible for that salary average? Is it really worth my time to learn Go? having 16 years experience with Java and .NET web development? I’ve been tempted to pick up python or just delve deeper int javascript via node. Or take up kotlin.

For you Windows guys :wink:

1 Like

Skip Kotlin, go for Clojure!

[…truly horrifying example of programming against WIndows APIs with Go …]

Scared me away. Thanks. :wink:

So what exactly IS returned in the r2 return parameter of func (p *LazyProc) Call(a ...uintptr) (r1, r2 uintptr, lastErr error) anway? (And why haven’t the docs been updated to reflect the fact that it accepts up to 18 parameters instead of no more than 15?)

2 Likes

a. Is that a joke?
b. why don’t you comment your code?

[citation needed]

What does this even mean?

Wut? Which is it?

1 Like

My goodness that was painful. Really makes one appreciate the elegance of:

#include <windows.h>
2 Likes

$109,483 worldwide, or $136,000 in the United States specifically

I did not write this. It was posted to yc hackernews a while back.

I think it probably was written as a joke. I certainly posted it as one.

This app goes against many principles of the Go language, I am aware.

1 Like

That doesn’t make a lot of sense but whatevs - it’s the BB Store, it’s not supposed to.

unsafe unsafe unsafe

1 Like

What about the Google engineers that use Flutter/Dart?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.