Learn this smoking fingers trick in 47 seconds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/04/learn-this-smoking-fingers-tri.html

1 Like

Carefully. Pretty sure this is creating white phosphorus. Not very good for you.

6 Likes

I think you’re correct. While doing this once or twice probably won’t be toxic, I wouldn’t do this without a gas mask and away from anyone else.

1 Like

This is actually and old trick. I recall doing this as a kid back in the early 60’s. Fun stuff.

1 Like

I think it might be adhesive residue. The stuff they sold for this was basically a kinda rubber cement in a tube.

3 Likes

There was a novelty item that was similar, it came in a tube and was like a paste. You would pull your fingers apart and stretch out filaments that were extremely light weight and would float in the air for a second, looking like smoke from a distance.

3 Likes

This is what I was remembering, too. Also, this stuff was pretty stinky, IIRC. You’d end up with gunked up fingers that smelled like chemicals (in a bad way.)

2 Likes

Here’s an…enthusiastic?..review of the stuff on a tube (which I too recall from my childhood):

1 Like

When he said “Holy shit” I was really hoping he’d say “Holy smokes!” What a wasted opportunity.

2 Likes

It’s a lot faster and simpler to just hold the lighter directly under your fingers.

1 Like

Bitchin’ three-note soundtrack.

I think it was basically rubber cement.

1 Like

I was curious, because I remember the strange smell of the stuff, so I looked up the ingredients and it’s rosin, wax, oil, and latex. So like rubber cement it does have a latex element, rubber, just minus the solvent which is usually n-heptane, which is not something kids should be rubbing on their hands. I don’t think the ‘smoke’ dries like rubber cement either. Just off the top of my head I think it dried hard, not pliable.

Skype would be better. Zoom has many privacy issues and should not be used.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.