How to make colored smoke bombs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/12/how-to-make-colored-smoke-bomb.html

2 Likes

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? someone should’ve told me this 30 (or 40) years ago. I coulda done this every year for Holi.

3 Likes

Does the smoke stain everything it touches?

5 Likes

Sadly, this is fake. Melting crayons or pastels into a smoke bomb doesn’t make it colored, just a kinda crappy grey smoke bomb.

14 Likes

8btOj1S

5 Likes

Very pretty, and teen me who was making home-made gunpowder with friends would have gone gaga over this. I wonder about toxicity of the pastel ingredients though. I’m sure the manufacturers wouldn’t be expecting anybody to inhale an oil pastel.

Cadmium yellow and red are still in common use, cobalt blue, manganese violet, chrome yellow, etc. Even zinc is innocuous and inert in normal use but seriously toxic if inhaled as vapor - I found dire warnings against trying to forge anything from galvanized steel.

8 Likes

Yea, that’s great.

Step 1: Don’t.

4 Likes

Don’t even need the video these are in the Anarchist Cookbook … or so I’ve been told.

2 Likes

Remember kids, smoke bombs are fun to look at, but the artificial ingredients here aren’t good for nature.

Only ever set these off inside. Mom and Dad will be so proud of you for thinking of the environment!

10 Likes

no they wont, kids don’t do this at home, do it at school.

3 Likes

Pass… don’t want to start a forest fire and have jail time and/or restitution. I saw what happened to the last guy that tried something like this for a gender reveal party.

2 Likes

Just how do techies ever survive to adulthood?

2 Likes

we have enough pollution

3 Likes

They stopped selling Potassium Nitrate and Sulfur in the drug stores decades ago.

4 Likes

Nice try fbi.

2 Likes

I’m glad you posted that, because I felt like I was missing something if this could possibly work. Like, maybe it’s dispersing the pastels as (toxic) dust or something? But it’s just fake, that makes a lot more sense.

Though I’m not sure I understand the impulse to make a video encouraging kids to mix oxidisers with fuel on their stove for no reason. Is it some kind of recruitment video for the Charred Stump Club?

2 Likes

Mark, I did the same thing: set my cousin’s kitchen on fire making smoke bombs from potassium nitrate and sugar. The first batch went perfectly, and we got a bunch of quality smoke bombs. The second batch ignited on the stove and burned several patches of kitchen. It’s amazing neither of us were burned, as that stuff is hot.

Fifty years ago. Yikes

3 Likes

Wettable sulfur powder for dusting roses is available in most garden centers. It’s typically greater than 95% sulfur. Stump remover, AKA Potassium Nitrate is also typically available there, usually in 100% concentrations if you look.

I think I just put myself on a list…

5 Likes

Time for a unicorn chaser with bonus smoke bomb!

4 Likes

for some reason I now want to consume a refreshing coke and/or sprite. I wonder why?