California: 8,600-acre El Dorado fire blamed on gender reveal stunt pyrotechnic device

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/07/california-8600-acre-el-dora.html

3 Likes

Stupid social media stunts are a pox on humanity.

27 Likes

Not the first time something this fucking stupid happened

23 Likes

They could bring the kid back years later: “And this scar on the landscape was where we had your gender reveal party.”

18 Likes

Have to limit it to girl gender reveal parties for a while.

17 Likes

Why the rush? These days it’d seem prudent to hold off on the gender reveal until maybe age 15 or so.

29 Likes

Setting off fireworks anywhere in California right now deserves jail time. That whole stunt was stupid on several levels.

22 Likes

Age 21 in my kid’s case.

17 Likes

Agreed; it was selfish, careless and stupid as all fuck.

Gender reveal parties are bullshit anyway, but stunts that cause damage like this are down right criminal.

19 Likes

Hell, it was age 44 in my case! (Not that these stupid gender reveal parties were a thing when I was born.)

15 Likes

If you want to do a baby gender reveal stunt go old fashioned and do it with a few hours of screaming labor.

14 Likes

“The unnamed individuals could be liable for the cost of fighting the fire…”

There goes baby’s college fund.

8 Likes
7 Likes

Human beings never fail to disappoint.

2 Likes

I mean, I already hate “gender reveal parties” with a passion, but of course someone into that shit would also be spectacularly dumb enough to set off an incendiary device in a dry field during a heat wave in the middle of a fucking drought.

Yeah, besides the Arizona wildfire, in Australia there were apparently a series of car fires that were the result of gender reveal burnouts (with colored-smoke producing tires), one resulted in a plane crash, not to mention at least one death from explosions. Dumb people doing dumb, dangerous things unsurprisingly frequently lead to awful outcomes.

8 Likes

Yeah, sounds like my neighbors.

7 Likes

Fuck ever happened to just handing out cigars or whatever…

2 Likes

I see the “passing out cigars to celebrate the birth of a biological boy” connection, but I think new parents should give out something else to commemorate a girl. Free tacos, perhaps.

Oh wait, is it creepy to put that much thought into baby genitals?

Yes. Yes it is.

15 Likes

In old cartoons, etc it was a cigar with a blue wrapper for boys and pink ones for girls, but your point is highly valid - the conceit of putting that much focus on something as trivial as genitalia is fucking weird.

13 Likes

Our son was 12 and we were the first he told. I’m still so honored by that.

10 Likes