Gender reveal pipe bomb kills grandma

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/29/gender-reveal-pipe-bomb-kills.html

4 Likes

"Police are “warning people to not add to or make your own gender reveal kits.”

…or use…

What you’re revealing is not the gender of your unborn child, but rather your own ignorance of the differences between human biology and human social constructs. Let’s just start calling them “ignorance reveal parties”. In this particular case your ignorance extended so far as to cause the death of a family member. Once your very real mourning has subsided, I hope you can usefully examine and reduce that ignorance.

26 Likes

It seems like there’s a trend involving these “reveals” and explosives. What a weird combination. We had kids on two separate occasions and not once did a situation arise where an IED seemed like a good idea. And I’m not the kind of guy who goes out of his way to avoid blowing things up.

59 Likes

walking up to the twitching body, stepping over the gore as everyone else screams and cries and fumbles their phones to call 911

“Madam, You have paid the price for your family’s ignorance of the differences between human biology and human social constructs.”

41 Likes

WARNING: GENDER FLUID IS HYPERGOLIC WITH AIR, WATER, HUMAN SKIN, AND ALL KNOWN METALLIC ELEMENTS. DO NOT INGEST GENDER FLUID. DO NOT PUNCTURE CONTAINER. DISPOSE OF IN ACCORDANCE WITH LOCAL AND FEDERAL REGULATIONS.

… I get an error saying “Body seems unclear. Is it a complete sentence?”
WTF BBS, why are you grammar-checking me?

31 Likes

I’m still strongly in favor of the old fashioned method of figuring it out when they come out. Gender reveal parties (and all the related hype and hoopla) have gotten increasingly ridiculous.

21 Likes

Yeesh. Yeah, don’t make your own bombs, kids. Or if you do stand the hell back.

Also, what ever happened to being surprised?

13 Likes

I believe they did accomplish that, alas.

34 Likes

FFS, people, just tell your kith and kin - use a phone or email. If you want a party, you don’t need an excuse. FFS, again.

And I think I read recently that this was all started by some woman who baked a cake with blue icing. It seems to have evolved somewhat! I also think she said she never thought it would get this mad.

10 Likes

I think the idea would be a cake with blue or pink food dye in the batter, hidden by an icing that is not one of those colours - so the reveal is accomplished when the cake is sliced (and not exploded).

19 Likes

Is it really that boring to just say “We are having a girl/boy.” and that’s the end of it?

A gender reveal is not where I need to insert excitement into my life.

12 Likes

Yeah - something like that. Needs less gunpowder and more baking powder.

16 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was suggesting, @beschizza.

1 Like

Circle of life.

3 Likes

Followed by the gender reveal drive-by shooting?

16 Likes

Colors of the bandannas amirite?

Crips = Girl
Bloods = Boy

21 Likes

Hey, everyone who is interested in the genitalia of my child, gather round!

19 Likes

could it be, and i am just spit balling here, that a certain percent of the US population might think “what better way to announce to the world that my child will either be 100% girl and like pink or 100% boy and like blue then to blow some shit up”.

I would guess that these people may be the same type of people that would shoot you for suggesting that gender is fluid. but maybe i am just applying my own stereotypes on them…who knows?

10 Likes

So - a boy then?

12 Likes

this

23 Likes