Gender reveal pipe bomb kills grandma

and some powder of an unspecified color on top of that.

Oh come on! Don’t leave us hanging!

15 Likes

However stupid this stunt, this is sad as hell.

28 Likes

I was thinking “gender assumption” parties… calling them what they are (genital reveal parties) might create an impression of something more entertaining than the reality.

20 Likes

That’s a pretty broad brush to paint with there. So yes it is your own sterotyping.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Imagine being that kid - “Yea, I don’t have a grandma cause…”

10 Likes

I really do feel like this is a manifestation of regressive gender views (even if not so… violent). From what I’ve been reading, expected gender roles seem to be getting more rigid in younger generations, even as trans issues awareness and gender fluidity increase. (Though I think it goes both ways, to some degree - there’s reactionary backlash, but also a widespread internalization of rigid, regressive gender roles that drives gender fluidity and non-binary identities as an increasingly necessary response.)

I momentarily thought you were suggesting that the colors at these parties should be future-gang-affiliation reveals, which makes about as much sense as gender reveals.

Yeah, but that part’s true, though. On multiple levels.

9 Likes

Top ten gender reveals! Number 11 will blow your mind!!

(OK, I feel bad writing that, despite my usual curmudgeoness, Grandma didn’t deserve this, what a waste.)

12 Likes

This is why I planned a Biological Sex Reveal Party for my baby. Though I must say, when I called Party City to enquire about a piñata filled with rubber baby penises, they were most unhelpful.

19 Likes

Reads like it comes from the Darwin Awards.

2 Likes

AFAIK, that used to be the ideal “reveal”; usually whilst at the baby shower.

I don’t know when this whole separate party with the over-the-top gimmickry started, but the trend needs to die out ASAP.

17 Likes

21 Likes

People do a gender reveal and a separate baby shower? Wow. I kind of thought the idea was to have a party to allow people to bring thoughtful gifts and have a fun baby-centric activity when the actual baby is not available for comment yet, instead of a baby shower when the parents are too overwhelmed to be fussed with throwing a party.

2 Likes

Probably when the most absurd stunts started getting any sort of attention on YouTube. Now like every stunt that appears in the web its evolution is guided by one-ups-manship (or one-ups-womanship)

4 Likes

From what I understand, yes.

Sadly, you’re probably onto something there; some people are desperate for the attention of others, by any means available…

5 Likes

Well there’s the problem, try not calling so close to Halloween.

4 Likes

this is the definition of the opposite of a Wonderful Thing no matter how one looks at it.

4 Likes

And yet I feel that some bomb loving, gender fluid ignorant, of child baring age people could use an IUD.

5 Likes

this doesn’t bode well for my gender reveal tactical nuke

6 Likes

Congratulations, it’s a homicide !

2 Likes