Idiots use 80 pounds of explosives for gender reveal party, crack foundations of nearby homes

Originally published at: Idiots use 80 pounds of explosives for gender reveal party, crack foundations of nearby homes | Boing Boing

5 Likes
37 Likes
68 Likes

Can’t we stop having these things yet? Will they ever go away?

22 Likes

well, people have actually DIED from some of these idiotic displays, i guess a cosmic life for a life scenario, and they are still doing them. so i guess the message has not been clear enough.

15 Likes

I bet the next time the babies will be revealed using bright radioactive isotopes.

glow power plant GIF

22 Likes

Only half snarkily: it’ll probably keep going on until there a few public displays of cakes exploding purple, green, or orange and there’s a happy gender reveal of “a trans girl/boy!”

That, or State Farm runs a commercial during the Super Bowl with a house on fire, multiple paramedics treating wounded party goers, and an insurance rep standing in front of a stunned couple saying “uh, yeah… we don’t cover that…”

[edit: color]

18 Likes

48 Likes

Can we blame facebook and social media for this? I think deep down humans are very prone to attention-seeking behaviour and facebook provides the perfect platform for this sort of pissing contest. A gender reveal party is the first in an endless stream of vanity projects for some parents these days.

24 Likes

I hope you pitch that idea to State Farm. genius.

8 Likes

Good to know that one can still get large quantities of high explosives just as easily as assault rifles.

17 Likes

Gender is performative. It was a genital revealing explosion.

Wish I could claim to have fixed that for ya, but there’s just no fixing something so fucked up.

26 Likes

I dunno. That purplish shockwave is a little ambiguous. (As is the very concept of a fixed, binary gender)

16 Likes

Why can’t people reveal the gender the old fashioned way like we did… at our wedding.

27 Likes

Well… at least no one died this time?

13 Likes

Star Trek Facepalm GIF

21 Likes

Tannerite isn’t particularly high explosive (appears to be based on Ammonium nitrate and aluminum aka fertilizer bomb), but eighty pounds of it, smh.

Short of outlawing fertilizer and high school chemistry…

7 Likes

Please do not plant that idea in these idiots minds!

13 Likes

That’s hooman colorism! For Klingons, magenta is a true warrior’s color!

19 Likes

No doubt, but that doesn’t mean it represents a specific gender. They’ve got some pretty fierce warriors of all genders after all.

If it said “reports suggest the child will be a MIGHTY WARRIOR” then that would make a lot more sense.

9 Likes