Idiots use 80 pounds of explosives for gender reveal party, crack foundations of nearby homes

Live free and die…

3 Likes

I’m revealing my gender the old fashioned way right now!

Okay, maybe not right now… it’s a bit cold this morning.

12 Likes

What is it with Americans and things that go ‘bang’?

5 Likes
19 Likes

Reinforcing the gender binary with binary explosives. What could go wrong?

12 Likes

We had a 10,000 acre fire caused by the same crap, that damn near burned the Big Bear mountain to the ground. I personally choked on the fire smoke for a month for that genital reveal stupidity. I’m still having morning asthma, thanks assholes.

27 Likes

It makes perfect sense to me that the explosive they used is what they use for exploding targets.

1 Like

It’s impressive to me that the quarry has been responsibility blowing things up for years and never caused this kind of problem to the community the way these yahoos have.

6 Likes

Probably because they actually know what they’re doing and don’t set off charges that big. Watch video of any big ground-blasting operation, you’ll see they use a bunch of charges that go off in sequence rather than one big boom. That’s specifically to avoid creating too large a ground shock and damaging nearby things.

7 Likes

51 Likes

It is the color of blood* after all.

*Exceptions apply, check your timeline for details.

14 Likes

Jesus 80lbs is a lot. Like something from a Mythbusters episode. I mean, it looks like they at least did it in a quarry or something, but still.

Though I doubt an open air blast is going to crack someone’s foundation.

I mean gender reveal or just for fun - I am for blowing stuff up. But you gotta know there is going to be a limit to the size of your boom and that there is a point that it isn’t fun any more. Like people lighting what is basically a quarter sick of dynamite on the 4th of July.

3 Likes

The woman who first did one (cake based reveal) would like to. Someone get this lady a time machine, stat. Actually, if we have a time machine, we can take our time about it. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/jun/29/jenna-karvunidis-i-started-gender-reveal-party-trend-regret

4 Likes

My dad worked in demolitions, unless you’re interested in the specifics, don’t watch any movie or TV show with him around, or you’ll hear why it’s wrong. The one surprising true-ish thing? You should be able to calmly walk away from explosions, if you set things so you have to run to avoid a blast, you’re unprofessional.

7 Likes

I wonder how much explosive material Last Week Tonight used for their quarry explosion a few months ago:

Although I’m sure the fiery, cascading fuel-based explosions have different concussive profiles than tannerite.

5 Likes

That looks awesome, but yeah, I bet it is a much lower pressure explosion with all the gasoline to give it that orange fire.

1 Like

I just love that there is a whole market segment for blowing stuff up when you shoot at it, and the 2A folks have somehow kept it legal to detonate 80 lbs of it.

1 Like

I have no idea how to link to “needs more likes” but this needs more likes!

1 Like

Or…and I’m just spit-balling here…maybe there ought to be some sort of law limiting how much nitrate explosive you can buy at a time and a modest bureaucratic barrier to buying EIGHTY FUCKING POUNDS.

I know, I know…crazy talk.

5 Likes

That much Tannerite does seem excessive, even for major stump removal, assuming that it wasn’t homebrew.

After the Oklahoma bombing, I understand that they get pretty squinty at major purchases of ammonium nitrate by non-farmers. The trouble is, legitimate users buy it by the ton.

5 Likes