Idiots use 80 pounds of explosives for gender reveal party, crack foundations of nearby homes

It’s a marathon to get a license to cut hair or open an ice cream shop in the US. And that’s messed up. But it’s even more messed up that it’s much easier to get enough explosives to be heard in the next state over.

7 Likes

Yep! Gasoline makes big pretty fireballs, but don’t do a lot of physical damage. Real explosives cause things to move, and more importantly, can cause the ground to shift.

2 Likes

IMO cake-based gender reveal parties are fine. No explosives, and the only real threat is contributing to diabetes if the frosting is too sweet.

If your gender reveal party involves explosives that should probably trigger an automatic visit from Child Protective Services to assess if you’re going to be able to raise the child safely.

I would imagine some would argue that explosives should be counted as arms for the purposes of the 2nd Amendment.

1 Like

I guess if you’re going to blow up 80 pounds of Tannerite, you might as well use the event as an opportunity to tell everyone your new baby has a penis.

Wait, no, only a weirdo would do that. What the hell is wrong with people?

22 Likes

Some make the same argument for nuclear armaments. Doesn’t make them any more worth taking seriously.

6 Likes

I want to photoshop “It’s a girl” into this scene something fierce now.

7 Likes

I have a Doctor Who “Kill the Moon” gif. It’s on the machine that currently says “Working on updates 24%”.

Wait, I’ve got this.

A definite gender reveal if you zoom in with a telescope

5 Likes
4 Likes

No kidding. A buddy of mine was special forces trained to be dropped behind Soviet line and tear up infrastructure like bridges and power lines. On occasion, they would get a chance to bring down power line pylons that were schedule for demolition. In true fashion, they would wager who could bring it down with the least amount of explosives. Apparently a kilo is more than enough.

(This guy has plenty of good stories, buy my favorite is the armed combat drop against Soviet troops on US soil. No shit! And the lower 48 to boot. But that’s a story for another time.)

Needless to say, these tough guys would be ashamed to need 80 lbs of explosive to do anything.

As I tend to say just before doing something I believe to be clever and/or efficient: “Any fool can just throw more money at the problem.”

I mean, what’s not to like about hosting a party where the whole point is telling the world the details of your baby’s genitals? /s
Personally, I find a lot not to like.

10 Likes

My memories of the first week or two are a bit hazy, but from what I can recall of my genitals back then, a party would have been premature, to say the least.

2 Likes

Well - I don’t think this was a matter of NEED vs WANT in this case.

But also, how much you need also depends on what you are using. Tannerite has about the same energy of Black Powder, but it is way more inert. And about half the potency of TNT.

Though - uh - when and where was your buddy in Soviet territory?

My kids Great-Grandpa was in the Polish Home Army and fought the Soviets and the Nazis, and he was an engineer who also engaged in blowing up bridges and damaging infrastructure to hinder their war efforts. He got the Polish version of The Medal of Honor after the collapse of the USSR from Lech Wałęsa.

Source comparing RE of explosives.

I used to think that “GRB” stood for “gamma-ray burst,” but now I’ve learned that it stands for “gender reveal blast.”

Of course, if Klingons are involved, there’s a strong likelihood it stands for both.

7 Likes

Ok, there’s that.
But also, aside from bangy things, overall in the US things go from novelty to de rigueur in a flash.
So it’s like you have to explain yourself should you choose not to jump on these bandwagons.

Yes, but was it a boy or a girl?

:grin:

7 Likes

Are we having Hulk gender reveal parties now? I thought his magic purple pants prevented that sort of exhibition.

6 Likes

It was a wild fire, that’s the whole story.

5 Likes

My trees are still weeping from smoke inhalation.

2 Likes

So are my lungs. And likely the rest of California’s citizens.

7 Likes