The two genders, according to cis people's gender reveal cakes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/16/the-two-genders-according-to.html

12 Likes

Gender reveal parties creep me the fuck out, and I don’t even mean within the context of how stupid and regressive the entire premise is, though that’s pretty creepy. No, it’s the way they just appeared one day, out of the blue, and became the new normal. Everyone acts like they’ve just been a thing we’ve always done, like some time traveler has fucked up the timeline and I’m one of the few that remembers the original timeline.

83 Likes

The toxic masculinity expressed in these gender reveals is violence-infused, self-loathing, delusional, or all of the above. The patriarchy hurts us all, even when we haven’t yet exited the womb.

The same goes for the colours. A little over a century ago, blue was the girl’s colour (see “Alice Blue”, named after TR’s daughter) and red/pink was the boy’s colour.

36 Likes

Not all cis people?

My wife and I have three kids, we never did anything like this nor forced colors and themes on them. So this crap is as weird to me as it is others.

25 Likes

There are allegedly still some very old, very stuffy, very conservative merchant banks in London where pink shirts are obligatory.

16 Likes

No, but I get pretty high certainty on it only being cis people.

Those are coming back in among the more fashion-forward of my colleagues (the majority of whom are some variety of scruffy nerd)

22 Likes

I can’t stand this stuff…

My wife is the gearhead in the family. We have a picture of her working on the transmission of her classic car when she was in her 20’s, all greasy, in coveralls, looking rather fetching.

Of course, she’s from NZ :new_zealand: where they have a very different view of feminine perfection.

(and a woman who is a real national leader… and no COVID-19…)

22 Likes

The video creator probably would have been less confused if they understood to link burnouts to race-cars and therefore to sports.

4 Likes

I find all these people with their fascination with genders and gender roles bizarre. It’s a baby. Let the kid figure out for him or herself how he or she wants to act and dress. Why have we regressed so much since the days of “Free to Be You and Me?”

20 Likes

Mainly via the efforts of Xtianists, who’ve been enabled by the GOP politicians they’ve supported since 1980. That said, “Free to Be…” had a surprisingly strong impact – without Marlo Thomas (and friends) we’d be in a much worse place.

By the way, there was recently a retrospective on the album, introducing a new version of the title song that’s more inclusive toward trans and non-binary people.

22 Likes

My wife and I did not learn the sex of our babies before they were born. People looked at us like we had two heads.

16 Likes

The power of modern marketing.

Reminds me of “I think we could get them to brush their tongues”

13 Likes

And those are the guys who wear pink chinos with their blazers at the weekend.

4 Likes

Okay- I’ll let you have your parties if you stop harassing trans kids and remove barriers to trans related health care.

Do we have a deal?

41 Likes

Interesting that guns in the USA are much like glitter, perniciously difficult to get rid of.

26 Likes

Umm … you did, though. :wink:

(Assuming neither you or your wife are headless, I guess.)

21 Likes

And some old football teams still have pink in their home colours

15 Likes

I was thinking about when you are in a hurry and shave too fast and then get red stripes on the neck.

Right especially if literally the only thing you can think of that is feminine is " uhhh bows?"

23 Likes

Not to mention the Italian Sport newspaper la Gazzetta dello Sport has pink paper because is the main sponsor of Giro d’Italia.

A lot amateur road cyclist wear pink or day-glo pink for this and to be more visible to car drivers…

7 Likes