California: 8,600-acre El Dorado fire blamed on gender reveal stunt pyrotechnic device

Why? Because you need to judge a child’s character as soon and as harshly as possible and you need well-defined gender norms for that! For example what if you see a child beat another child up? Do you say 'Boys will be boys" or “Nice girls don’t do that!”

Or what if they cry? You can only handle that if you know what genitals they have! This Is Essential!

I’m sorry, I was channeling my old Pastor again. Vade Retro Padre!

3 Likes

Because by today’s standards it looks pretty weird when the - then still pregnant - mother is seen smoking a cigar?

1 Like

My gender reveal was before I started school, but it was quickly followed by an unwelcome gender denial

8 Likes

So was it a boy or a girl…?

2 Likes

FUCKING WANKERS!!!

People who (a) decide they needed an effing 'gender reveal stunt', in general and (b) specifically decide to do it with pyrotechnics and (c) do it in a wildlife area where fires are a huge risk.
3 Likes

taxpayers have a right to know! even if nobody cares.

That’s the USA for you!

If you’re going to do something pointless and stupid, throw in some explosives for good measure

6 Likes

Is there any any better way to say, “If I crawled any further up my own ass I’d come out my own mouth” than by causing this much damage to announce to the world that you, like untold trillions of organisms on the planet before you, have managed to breed successfully?

It’s not that big a deal.

It’s just so decadent and self-absorbed. Like, the cake thing, what color is it inside, have a fun party, be sane about it, that I get. It’s still a bit silly and ostentatious to me, but whatever.

But this sort of thing they were doing would be gaudy and grotesque to me even without the extreme nature and property damage and loss of life. Think of all the poor animals they murdered, including cute little baby ones, for this stupid stunt.

Humans, man. We are just the worst.

4 Likes

Giant cancersticks? No thanks.

Instead, how about cupcakes? Batter is easy to tint either pink or blue, it’s unlikely to burn anything down (unless you’re REALLY bad at baking), and even if you may not care about the kid’s gender (little kids attending the party thrown for one of their parents’ friends) you’ll still get a cupcake.

1 Like

Setting aside the appropriateness of a gender reveal celebration at all, I’m pretty sure that, statistically speaking, over the decades that handing out celebratory cigars was common at least some of the cigars must have led to unintended fires.

Maybe we should just take incendiary material out of party celebrations to the extent possible. People no longer use candles to light up their Christmas trees, so that’s a start.

1 Like

Congrats! It’s a raging inferno.

CSB
My first kid, we wanted a surprise so we didn’t want to know the gender. My wife was convinced it was a girl. When the youngin finally came out and I cut the cord, the nurse held it up to me backwards, and I mistook the vaginal lips for testies and I told my wife “It’s a boy!”.

Wife said “WHAT?”.
Nurse told me…“Better look again…”
“I mean…It’s a girl!”
/CSB

1 Like

They made cigars with both blue and pink labels. Not that anyone smokes cigars like they used to.

I’ve seen cigars made of bubble gum, pink or blue labels on them.

But really, if you live in a dry area with tinder box conditions, try a cake. Everyone loves cake.

Also - What ever happened with being surprised the day of?

3 Likes

Make them yellow or purple, or maybe switch the colours so that it is pink for a boy and blue for a girl.

Do anything to fuck around with the concept. The kid will tell you their gender when they are ready.

10 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

7 Likes

So I just read this article about the woman who pioneered the gender reveal party in the far-distant year of 2008. The short story is that she’d experienced several miscarriages and was celebrating the fact that her pregnancy had progressed to the point that the doctors could tell her whether she was having a girl or a boy.

5 Likes

I mean, people have been learning the sex of their kid before birth since sonograms allowed us too. (Before that I think people read tea leaves or rabbit guts to discern the sex of a kid.)

So I certainly am not down on people wanting to celebrate as part of a baby shower. But, yeah, it certainly has taken a life of their own in recent years.

1 Like

My point was really that gender reveal parties are lame and the people that have them are attention-seeking weirdos who should be loaded into a rocket and shot into the sun.

It depends on the scope. IMO if you have a party with your family and friends to celebrate the impending birth of your child, that’s being social. If you have a party that you broadcast to the world simply to draw attention to yourself, that should probably count towards your 15 minutes (and there are plenty of people who again IMO have gone well over their time limit.)

1 Like