California: 8,600-acre El Dorado fire blamed on gender reveal stunt pyrotechnic device

If they bought one of those novelty genital-shaped cakes (or candy or whatever) and everyone symbolically devoured the baby’s genitals, it wouldn’t be any more creepy, frankly. It would just put the creepiness front and center. (Maybe if someone just started marketing those as suitable for gender reveal parties, they might get the message…)

2 Likes

13 Likes

Can we just make infant genital reveal parties (which is what they are) illegal already? Seems like a violation of someone’s privacy, even if it doesn’t result in untold death and/or destruction. Plus it’s just gross.

It’s possible that burning down a forest is seen by the accidental arsonists as a political statement.

No matter what the libs say, it’s important to establish sex before birth, and I will do so in the loudest way possible, and therefore I will do it with dyed tannerite.

Banning the premade kits would probably prevent more wildfires in the short term. Going after gender hegemonies is best left for another day.

If this doesn’t kill the trend of these stupid parties, I don’t know what will. The other fire set, the injuries to a guest or guests at some other party I heard about (I think they also had a small firecracker-like thing that would pop open and ta-da), the originator disavowing them, mix-ups happening with party planners providing the wrong color, etc: you’d think all that would have been enough. Maybe now this will be.

1 Like

While the proud father hands out cigars emblazoned with “it’s a girl” in the waiting room.

How about they at least use accurate language to describe these parties: Internet Genital Reveal

Never underestimate the ability of cis people to fail to get the message and unironically adopt the stupid thing you were trying to prank them into hating.

4 Likes

Somebody died at one of these not so long ago and that didn’t stop these people, so I’m guessing it’ll have little impact. It’s the same problem in all cases - they’re not smart enough to recognize that they’re doing something risky, so as far as they’re concerned it’s never going to be them that has a problem as a result…

Sigh… yeah.

4 Likes

I feel like a heel posting a tweet once again instead of a real reply, but how could I say it any better?

10 Likes

She posted about this latest debacle. It’s a really good post. Sorry for those who don’t Facebook, but that’s where she posted it. https://www.facebook.com/108648052486945/posts/3526972507321132/?extid=2ZlyQwQLLWTabNBm&d=n

1 Like

Here’s a screenshot for those wishing to avoid Facebook.

11 Likes

Fairly certain that the giving out of cigars in the old days was not associated with phallic interpretations. Back then, a free cigar was generosity. Light em up! Now, cigars aren’t as popular so the thing has taken on a new, weird life.

6 Likes

Also a bad idea during a drought, unless it’s indoors, in a fireproof room, with the overhead sprinklers going.

As much as I think we have so far to go, hearing things like this does remind me that we have advanced. Thank you!

3 Likes

There’s a special room in my house for that

1 Like

If this is so important in a parents life they should take a photo of their child’s genitals, distribute it to family and friends and then take are good long look at themselves and think about what the fuck they have done!

2 Likes

Maybe someone could start a rumor that child traffickers are spying on these gender reveal parties to target their future victims? Would that get people to stop?

No. We already have an overwhelming quantity of misinformation to try and combat without making the problem worse just because it might work in our favor this time.

3 Likes