How to make colored smoke bombs

potassium nitrate sales skyrocket in 3…2…1

I’m not sure that video proves the OP video is fake. The debunker used cheap wax crayons (which likely have to be nontoxic and in any event have much less color agent); the OP video used oil pastels, which contain a much higher proportion of color.

I’m still skeptical, and I think if this DOES work it’s really likely to make a huge, potentially toxic mess akin to smearing pastels all over everything this stuff touches. But I’d want to see more experimentation before I declare this one faked.

I am reminded of the Chromo-Pee Olympics.

Full disclosure: the Chromo-Pee Olympics is fictional.

2 Likes

That guy wasn’t “trying something like this”. That guy bought a commercial exploding target that’s specifically marketed for gender reveal parties. And set it off in a field of dry grass.

Little hard to start a forest fire if you’re not in a forest.

When you order potassium nitrate online (food or lab grade) you have to voluntarily put yourself on a list IIRC. Both sat petre and sulfer can be got on Amazon. And last time I ordered on Amazon no list!

If I’m remembering it right, for fireworks/burning shit only specific compounds will produce colored flame or smoke. Some of them are pigments some of them aren’t. And most of them aren’t the color they produce in smoke or flame. Cause if its burning there’s a chemical reaction going on, and you need a reaction that will produce a compound of that color. Not break one down.

So I sort of doubt this works. Oil pastels have a lot of pigment in them, but what are the chances they’re the right ones?

1 Like

Brush fires frequently spread to the forest which in turn cause forest fires.

1 Like

And everyone is in the brush all the time.

And everyone lives in a place at risk for such things.

I wasn’t aware that on a sandy beach during the wet season in my largely unforested area with little risk of wild fire, that I could start a forest fire. Its good to learn that wet rock and sand is flammable.

There’s also a large difference between a burning explosive. And a contained smoldering object. One is a lot more controllable. The problem here is fire and the failure to adequately control it, not that everyone lives at a constant risk of starting wild fires should they ever touch a smoke bomb (which again wasn’t what that guy was using)

My favorite beach Assateague Island is a beach and has a forest directly to the side of it lol. We rarely have forest fire warnings in PA but, they still happen.

Just like every beach everywhere right?

My whole point is that there’s safe ways to mess with this shit provided your not an idiot about it. The biggest sources of wild fires are things like camp fires.

These things are an absolute disaster.

And especially in urban areas.

That’s the problem, people are regularly idiots. We constantly get safety commercials in PA such as: “Don’t light a grill next to an open window, don’t put electric heaters next to curtains or other flammable materials, don’t mix bleach with other chemicals with little or no ventilation, etc.

I think I have all the ingredients for this besides oil pastels. If i get down to town to buy pastels and around trying it out before the thread closes i’ll let y’all know.

2 Likes

KNO3 and sugar “bombs”!! With match heads as an igniter!

What is this “list” thing? When I was a kid, could buy sulfur and potassium nitrate at corner drug store. Literally. And I did.

Certain classes of chemical you need to provide ID and a signature to buy, or vendors may require it to cover their asses.

Rather a lot like buying psuedoephedrin.

I am very sceptical, smoke is just the result of incomplete combustion and frankly I cannot see how the pigments in the crayon could survive being burned and disperse in particles small enough to colour the smoke. I assume the waxes and oils will burn at low temperature and produce lots of soot… ergo blackish smoke mixed with the normal white smoke from the sugar/nitrate mixture = grey

Some gases derived from nitrogen oxides are naturally red but you don’t want to mess with them

I don’t know… the colours are just too bright and too intense, there is no colour fading or degrading. I am inclined to call it BS

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.