LegalEagle’s 35-minute tear down of ‘Established Titles’ is excellent

Laphroaig will (or used to? I haven’t checked in a while) also “sell” you a 1 square foot parcel of land in Scotland for about $50. But it comes with a free bottle of whisky.

Unlike established titles, they even spell out your rights under the registration: you can put a marker on “your” plot of land, and they will pay you rent of 1 dram of whisky a year if you visit the distillery.

6 Likes

Up to 6 figures per the video apparently! And I’m surprised that as big a channel as Legal Eagle only got a $7k offer.

Not sure if it’s “why”, but Laphroaig scotch used to (maybe still does?) include a cute little certificate with its bottles giving the bearer title of a 1-squre foot of land. But I’m pretty sure everyone got the joke.

As a “Friend” [ed someone who bought a bottle] you will be given a numbered plot (one square foot) of our land that runs alongside our all important water suppply – the Kilbride stream. If you visit us you can view your plot and of course claim your ground rent of a dram of our finest – though you will probably need to take a few precautions, as you will see later!

ETA: Ah, @ejeffrey beat me to it!

coca cola animation GIF by Isabella Carapella

1 Like

Yep. I just listened to the whole thing. It is just like that star registry. Basically you get a nice piece of paper stating something that outside of the issuing organization, has no actual merit
in the real world.

So if you are buying it for a piece of paper as a fun thing to have and display and/or plant a tree or two, then go for it.

If you think you are legally a lord in any sense, well, you are no more than I am a Sith Lord.

(I’m too nice to be a Sith Lord, I just like the aesthetic.)

Especially since a lawyer would give them some clout!

3 Likes

“It’s a Cloud!”

1 Like

Sadly, it was only a dram per plot, on visit. A few years back your plots were consolidated to a single, shattering the dreams of those of us with a taste for Islay scotch and dreams of becoming peat barons.

5 Likes

Well, I have declared all of you bishops in the Hermetic Order of Knights Under Munich. With all pertaining rights and responsibilities that a bishop of HOKUM is granted.

8 Likes

Damn. I guess I’ve got to travel diagonally now.

7 Likes

Hell, you can do that without even buying a “title” to a square foot of land.

4 Likes

That’s Laird to you, peasant!

1 Like
3 Likes

Right up there with the grift that used to sell “naming rights” to stars

3 Likes

Why Scotland? Because it’s Celtic enough to be foreign, and British enough to be familiar and respectable at the same time. Because Scotland is exotic and lily-white. Because what most people know about Scotland is “charming accents and kilts and a legal system which is just different enough that that might be true” and not a lot more.

9 Likes

I know, but this oblique reference is still cheaper than whatever those land scammers have plotted.

2 Likes

Either of the major parties will do. I suppose even the Lib Dems might do in a pinch. You’ll have to wait a lot longer but whoever is in power does normally throw a few bones to the other parties so as long as you keep donating (and dropping enough hints) you should get there eventually.

Or you could try winning a few sporting events. A couple of rugby world cups or one football tournament of any international level should do the trick.

1 Like

2 Likes

Perhaps say Scotland is perceived to be those things.

5 Likes

Excited Lets Go GIF

12th-doc-history-whitewash|nullxnull

Or it was, until pretty recently…

3 Likes

From an American perspective they’re pretty white. The whitest of any US States are Maine and Vermont at about 94%, while the US overall is about 75%. Per the latest census Scotland is 96% white, which is much higher than England (82%) and even higher than Ireland (94%). I’m not necessarily criticizing the good people of Scotland for their relative lack of diversity but they are objectively pretty white.

Funny you should mention that.

3 Likes