Legendary comedy troupe Duck's Breath Mystery Theater has released two of their hilarious albums

Originally published at: Legendary comedy troupe Duck's Breath Mystery Theater has released two of their hilarious albums | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I think it was Duck’s Breath I saw in something like 1976 at Midamericon doing a riff on the Kitchen Magician…

1 Like

Give me Senseless Cruelty. The last time I was able to get that was on cassette, and it has long been destroyed by time.

It is as hard to get as the Flying Karamozov Brothers Comedy of Errors.

2 Likes

This is great news and I’m so glad they put them on Bandcamp! Dr Science and the Duck’s Breath Crew were huge inspirations to me as a kid. Thanks for sharing this!

6 Likes

i still quote Dr. Science to mum. she remembers, too!
“I have a master’s degree!
In Science!

now i want Firesign Theatre and ZBS (Zen Broadcasting System from NYU that brought the radio play *Ruby, Galactic Gumshoe) box sets!
oh, the power of radio!

4 Likes

Today I learned that there is still new Ian Shoales material coming out!

1 Like

O thank you for that!

I first saw him on MTV (The Cutting Edge) in early '86 (10th grade, for me).

1 Like

“It’s like walking on a cloud of fresh pork.”

2 Likes

Hey alendrix, Duck’s Breath archivist Taylor here. We’ve got it! Definitely earmarked for future release! You’re right about those old cassettes, they’re friggin’ impossible to find - even WE barely have them.

5 Likes

Hey FloridaMan - I can’t speak for ZBS but as Firesign’s archivist, I want most of all the same thing you covet, a big Firesign box set! Gonna try like hell to get a collection of their complete Columbia recordings together soon.

4 Likes

I think my favorite thing about this is that of course Duck’s Breath’s archivist is here, just hanging out, posting every few years

4 Likes

Turner has such a wealth of stuff down in his office, I am sure, if you look hard enough, you’ll find the lost ark of the covenant.

3 Likes

While you’re digging around: I’d love to see the aforementioned MTV/Cutting Edge clip in which I first saw Ian Shoales (it was “Hearts on Bumperstickers” which was also on the I Gotta Go cassette*). He was on The Cutting Edge at least one other time, and the subject was modern art. I remember, when I asked if/when these ever might be on YouTube, an email or comment at one point by Ian / Merle to the effect that it wasn’t a copyright thing, but that the original video recordings were no longer available…

*I noticed later that some of that commentary turned up as the character Kevin’s lines in St. Elmo’s Fire (and that Duck’s Breath is in the end credits). I pointed that out on IMDB a long time ago…

1 Like

Hard to say if we’ve got those “Cutting Edge” videos or not - it all depends on whether one of the group members saved it on VHS or Umat. We’re slooooooowly digitizing the video archive but it’s expensive. Please give.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.