Legendary funk drummer Dennis Chambers playing Tool's "Schism" after hearing it for the first time

Originally published at: Legendary funk drummer Dennis Chambers playing Tool's "Schism" after hearing it for the first time | Boing Boing

2 Likes

From my perspective as not-a-drummerist, it’s interesting that his playing seems to get increasingly Tool-like as the song goes on. That said, the end of the song does have more cues in it that are more clearly speed-metal flavored, so maybe it’s not so surprising that the double kick pedal comes into play.

3 Likes

Not just a funk drummer, Dennis Chambers has played across several genres, including jazz and jazz fusion, notably CAB with Tony MacAlpine.

4 Likes

He is not “Playing Tool’s Schism”, he is “Playing WITH Tool’s Schism”.

Don’t get me wrong, this is still an incredible feat to be able to adapt to a song that changes meter often after only hearing it once, but he’s not playing the original drum line or anywhere close.

If I sang different words and a different melody over Justin Bieber’s Baby, you wouldn’t say I’m “Singing Justin Bieber’s Baby”.

“it’s not my thing but I’ll give it a try”
understatement of the year.

• when he starts with the double kick near the end and breaks into a smile.
    *chef kiss
4 Likes

The channel has an emphasis on learning/practicing/performing…it’s fairly obvious he’s not perfect, but did you notice Dennis did not stop playing when playing along with the recording? There was even several moments where it seemed like he might stop playing, right? Thats also impressive. And it presents itself to other musicians watching as something to aspire to: never stop, always keep the rhythm…even if you’re making mistakes, the music making never stops, yeah? That is what’s ultimately important in this video: Never Stop Moving.

4 Likes

This is absolutely the correct take-away. I haven’t watched this guy but I’ve watched a couple videos of Larnell Lewis doing the same thing; and it’s very interesting and informative, it’s less about drumming and more about how to listen. And it’s an important skill to stay employed, I forget exact details but Lewis said something about basically learning the songs for a Snarky Puppy album on the flight to the session. That’s quick learning! And you’re right about the not-stopping; one has to learn that a) nobody’s perfect, and you will occasionally find yourself “not perfect” in the middle of a gig and b) when that happens you have to know how to quasi-improv your way back to knowing where you are and what your part is without disrupting anything.

3 Likes

And still manages to put up a better performance than Lars…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.