Legendary Marvel artist John Romita Sr. passes away at 93

Originally published at: Legendary Marvel artist John Romita Sr. passes away at 93 | Boing Boing

1 Like

He was one of the greats! So many iconic books by him.

Never got to meet him, but did meet his son, John Romita JR.

4 Likes

Romita drew a great Spider-Man and the very, very best Peter Parker. I can accept lots of different artistic variants of Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark and Wally West, but Romita’s Peter Parker is the only one that looks right to me.

3 Likes

RIP

1 Like

I’ve been rereading his late 60’s Spidey run. I too grew up with his work on the web slinger. He gave Parker a really delicate pathos that has never been captured again. A master craftsman!

3 Likes

Romita, Sr. was doing the comics when I started reading them. Always thought everything that came after was inferior. Really iconic, low-stylized, straightforward character art.

1 Like

I met Mr. Romita at a comic convention in Atlanta in the summer of 1986 as I was graduating from college with a graphic design/illustration degree, and with high hopes that I would be working for Marvel in short order. I showed him my samples, and though I could tell he was far from impressed (and rightly so, in retrospect), that didn’t stop him from complimenting my faces, and being very kind and encouraging to me.

He had a classic, beautiful style and a clear storytelling aesthetic. One of the truly great artists in the comic book pantheon, and by all accounts, a genuinely swell guy.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.