Let's take a little time to remember Steve Ditko

Originally published at: Let's take a little time to remember Steve Ditko | Boing Boing

3 Likes

200-5

5 Likes

A strange guy; but I love the artwork he left us.

12 Likes

I haven’t watched the article’s video yet, but it reminded me of a recent video by Scott Niswander of Nerdsync, going in to the early days of Spider-Man under Steve Ditko. Why Spider-Man used to suck... | NerdSync - YouTube

“Why Spider-Man Used to Suck” highlights when Ditko had complete creative control over our favorite webslinger, some of the cool things he brought in and fought for, and, of course, the influence of Ayn Rand’s Objectivism.

3 Likes

Uncle Ben, “Peter, with great power, comes great responsibility.”
Peter, “I am only responsible for my own actions!”
Uncle Ben, “I see I’m going to have to slap the Randian Bull Crap out of you.”

10 Likes

I’ve noticed that Marvel–that is, Disney–has become a teensy bit more willing to acknowledge contributions by early Marvel creators as long as said creators are dead and thus unable to sue them.

5 Likes

Given that Marvel is currently suing Ditko’s family for requesting copyright reversion, I don’t think they’re that worried about litigation.

4 Likes

I was there. I loved Steve Ditko’s work!

3 Likes

The original Ditko run on Dr. Strange is one of my favorite things ever.

9 Likes

big fan of Silver Surfer and Ditko’s run with that character as a stand alone title, rather than Kirby’s Surfer in Fantastic Four.

4 Likes

Hmmm… this adds a thrid axis to the eternal argument.

5 Likes

I disagreed with him (Denzel) then…
and will again
(not that I dislike King Kirby. just for me, I like the trippy-dippy, organic Ditko backgrounds and art over the heavily shaded, linear geometry that is Kirby’s signature style.)

3 Likes

I think you may be thinking of John Buscema. I’m not aware of Ditko ever drawing the Silver Surfer series.

1 Like

apparently my remembery is not so good these days. I was just sure
a quick look into my library confirms your correction.
[sheepish resignation]

1 Like
1 Like

but it’s interesting to note the lengths that Marvel has taken to eulogize Ditko after his death.

Marvel eulogizing one of their most famous artists and co-creator of their flagship character, and somehow that’s fishy?

I think what they’re getting at is that Marvel didn’t seem to like him so much before he died.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.