When Superheroes go overseas

Originally published at: When Superheroes go overseas | Boing Boing

4 Likes
7 Likes

The Japanese Spider-Man is the emissary of death, after all.

4 Likes

Missed the best one made

8 Likes

“Spider-Man, Spider-Man,
Wishes a mother fucker would, Spider-Man”

7 Likes

…Does whatever a spider can / Spins a web, any size / catches thieves / EATS THOSE GUYS

Hey wait, don’t do that, Spider-Man.

7 Likes
12 Likes

It’s amazing how nice Marvel and DC are about not demanding licensing fees from these people who obviously have mountains of cash for production value. Also Albert Broccoli for not charging for use of the James Bond music. The generosity is overwhelming.

1 Like

Don’t forget the baby ducks. They deserve more than an etc.

4 Likes

I don’t think they had the money to sue overseas infringement. It wasn’t until fairly recently either DC or Marvel had that kind money to throw around.

Though IIRC Marvel DID license Spider-Man in Japan. It maybe possible some other productions did pay a small licensing fee, with an agreement to never release the movies in the US.

2 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with my mind!

You’re wearing an accordion.

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhrrrrgggggghhhhh!!!

2 Likes
1 Like

Italian Spiderman was of course an Aussie spoof of all the other “overseas superhero” movies of the sort @jlw is highlighting here.

W/r to @RickM0ycroft’s post, the 1960s Batman is currently on one of the free streaming services, we’ve been (re)watching it and it has aged amazingly well. I was curious to discover that the main writer, Lorenzo Semple Jr., was recently still getting writing credits 6 years after his death (for Condor).

3 Likes

The “S” on India Spiderman’s chest is too small.

The little kid still hanging out in my head recalls an episode where Batman, at some heroic episode-ending conclusion, spouted off some over-ripe saccharine preachy pap, to which the effected villain responded, “Oh, good grief.” Then straight to the commercial. That sold me on the series.

2 Likes

Naturally, i’m aware :slight_smile: that doesn’t make it any less great. The same guys went on to make similar shows for broadcast, Danger 5 was on Netflix (not sure if it still is) but it was delightfully insane

The hilarious WCFL Chickenman spoof of Batman used to make fun of this, with Chickenman giving Batman-style OTT speeches and characters reacting to them by calling him “a real religious fanatic”. (Of course, this aspect of Batman was a spoof of the 1950s Superman series.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.