Art Spiegelman pulled his Marvel Folio Society intro after Disney demanded that he not criticize Trump

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/16/everything-is-political.html

17 Likes

To be clear, is this coming from Perlmutter or somewhere higher up in the Disney hierarchy?

10 Likes

It was certainly insulting the the Red Skull and all his minions to be compared to Trump.

After all there was always some degree of intelligence and competence out of Captain America’s arch enemy and his staff. Same isn’t true for Trump

30 Likes

Marvel was looking for something more along the lines of Spielberg’s An American Tale and less Maus.

16 Likes

I think Spielberg would have done the same thing.

32 Likes

wish I could give 360,000 dollars to a douchebag on a whim, and know it would not even dent my lunch money budget

16 Likes

“Orange Skull” is brilliant. There are no words to adequately express how good that is.

The Red Skull is the original fictional arch-Nazi. I don’t think anyone should spend any time sympathizing with him that could be better spent punching him.

28 Likes

"The corporation said that it was trying to be “apolitical…and is not allowing its publications to take a political stance.” "

But, Disney, “apolitical” is Political.

39 Likes

Iger is anti trump so, wtf?

1 Like

Good for Art! We are just a few goose-steps from 1934 over here and the more we say “this is NOT fine! NOT normal” the better.

And hat tip for coining “Orange Skull” adding that to my big list of Hair Twittler names for the shitgibbon in chief.

31 Likes

Just a reminder: Marvel was drawing people punching Hitler before the US even entered the war. The publisher has been taking controversial political stances for generations.

Good on Art for calling them out.

39 Likes

That’s why I’m thinking this order likely came down from Perlmutter (head of Marvel) rather than farther up the Disney hierarchy.

8 Likes

Perhaps. But at the same time, the Orange Skull doesn’t have a Captain America to thwart him, so he can get away with being a bumbling jackass.

Good for Mr. Spiegelman.

17 Likes

We can always dream:

40 Likes

The opinion that art should have nothing to do with politics is itself a political attitude.
George Orwell - Why I Write

37 Likes

(mine from this thread)

11 Likes

Yep. I’ve been following him and reading his work for a long time, and I’m not at all surprised by this move. He has more integrity in his thumb than all of the rat bastards currently plaguing us combined.

31 Likes

30 Likes

Can’t say I’m looking forward to their next big tentpole movie, “Avengers: Purity Through Strength.” Plot synopsis: the surviving Avengers realize that “Thanos had some good ideas but lacked focus.”

20 Likes

Ooo - they better not call up Kirby’s ghost to see what he has to say about all of this…

13 Likes