Legendary movie maker Roger Corman dead at 98

That is a cool movie. I watched it whenever Turner or the once-excellent AMC showed it.

5 Likes

The man is the Avatar of Low Budget Filmmaking. The example all aspire to.

8 Likes

I really like the film, “Targets”; which illustrates Corman’s ability to scrape together a film from next to nothing, while giving young talent an entrance in to the film industry. Plus, it is Boris Karloff’s final film; and serves as an interesting swan-song.

Edit to add missing “e”. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Same. Very interesting, weird film.

That the gun-toting lad - from shoes to haircut - looked so much like the rich boys at the snooty private school was not lost on me.

8 Likes

Kim Newman’s book “Nightmare Movies” joked the clean cut all American boy psycho could easily be the prom date to Tuesday Weld’s teenage murderer in Pretty Poison made the same year.

7 Likes

Sounds about right. tophat-wow

What may be most frightening about the film is the ease with which he purchases weaponry at the gun shops.

… I may have fired my first rifle before I was a suitable audience for a PG-13 movie, and I may not fear guns, but I know their power. It’s not a power that should be treated as lightly as a trip to the store to buy milk, like the killer and the gun shop clerks do in Targets. Until it’s harder to buy a gun than it is to vote in an election, we can expect the violence norm to continue. And as long as it continues, it will just be entertainment—because that’s what audiences demand.

Emphasis mine.

11 Likes

I know where Audrey Jr. is hiding. :grin:

9 Likes

By looking here?

6 Likes

How sad.

His movies introduced me to the stories of Edgar Allen Poe and the music of the Ramones.

Rest in Peace.

16 Likes

My fav is The Trip. Written by Jack Nicholson. It’s also where the Ministry sample “you don’t need the Thorazine… RELAX” comes from.

7 Likes

dick millers garage?

4 Likes

Speaking of him Corman fans might be interested in this.

8 Likes

applause.gif_2
Sounds wonderful! Love love love Dick “One Take” Miller!

6 Likes

Friends of mine have the poster for that movie. Although theirs is a US (portrait) format and the colors are a little different.

5 Likes

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.