Legendary movie maker Roger Corman dead at 98

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/12/legendary-movie-maker-roger-corman-dead-at-98.html

13 Likes

Drag Race GIF by Emmys

23 Likes

What an @#$n impressive ‘filmography’! (six films where he was director/producer in year of my ignoble birth alone). and i didn’t know he did The Raven! that thing was all sort of amusing popcorn crunchings and munchings.
jjj

20 Likes

One of Hollywood’s true good guys. He may not have been a big spender, but that was eclipsed by his generosity to his fellow artists.

22 Likes

If you have not seen this documentary about his production company in the Philippines, it’s highly recommended…

22 Likes

For someone who made nothing but low budget B movies, the number of Hollywood A-listers connected to Corman, many of whom were given their first break by Corman, is impressive. RIP.

24 Likes

Going through all the posters for his movies is amazing.
I mean…

17 Likes

On one of their first dates my parents went to see A Bucket of Blood.
I was in my forties before they told me that, and my father asked if I’d seen it.
“Seen it?” I said a little too loudly. “I’ve got it on DVD!”

I like to think my fondness for Corman films, especially the early ones, can be traced back to that.

12 Likes

Jonathan Demme gave back

17 Likes

Corman/Producers to Poster Artist: “We want you to show beautiful maidens in a lush tropical paradise ruled by a hideous stone god.”

Poster Tagline: Beautiful maidens in a lush tropical paradise ruled by a hideous stone god!

Why do I think that Corman wouldn’t have raised an eyebrow there? And why would that make me happy.

14 Likes

Also one of the senators at the hearing in Godfather 2.

13 Likes

An interesting read if you like film autobiographies:

Given the fact he never wrote much more than treatments for any of his movies, I’m sure it was ghost written. It’s still an interesting look at his takes and his times.

Spoiler: he did lose money once or twice but not much.

17 Likes

I think I remember, from a review of that book, how he’d have to take someone to court when he didn’t get paid, and on his way up the courthouse steps, some lawyer would run up with whatever he (Corman) was owed.

13 Likes

He also had a brief role in Apollo 13, thanks to Ron Howard.

One of my favorite fellow Detroit natives.

He didn’t just take care of and nurture future great artists, he nurtured We the Audience, by ensuring we were able to see all kinds of brilliant foreign films. We wouldn’t have had all our art house film theatre experiences without Mr Corman.

May he have only great and fortunate rebirths.

19 Likes

For another angle on Roger Corman, a documentary called Some Nudity Required, directed/written by Odette Springer, who scored some of his movies (and with whom I went to grade/high school). Insightful 'Nudity' Peeks at World of B-Movies

8 Likes

Crushed. There’s nothing I can say about this legend’s legacy and influence (on me & society) that does him justice.

The kicker is trying to decide which movie to watch tonight in memorial? ??

13 Likes

Thank you—it’s an interesting read that shows how Corman was both intensely proud of his work from an artistic standpoint and just as intensely focused on costs and profits. Most of the time those two don’t seem to go together.

There are also sections where he alllows people he worked with to share their experiences of working with him, even occasionally criticizing him. Mostly for being cheap when they thought a bigger budget might have made a better film.

8 Likes

my all-time-favourite under his direction and my first seen corman film of many (I was 9 years old and I loved it instantly);

“I would say that I’m a craftsman. I attempt to ply my trade in the best possible way. If occasionally something transcends the craft, then that’s wonderful. It doesn’t happen very often.”

well played sir, well played and thank you for some of the finest in film history.

14 Likes

I believe he didn’t like MST3K at all, but I probably would never have seen Night of the Blood Beast otherwise. Such a completely off-the-wall movie.

11 Likes

He did direct exactly one studio-backed flick, The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, and decided that wasn’t the route for him.

10 Likes