Battle Beyond the Stars

[Permalink]

1 Like

Starring Richard Thomas as Wesley Crusher.

3 Likes

How can it be a true Roger Corman sci-fi with no worm sex?

1 Like

I remember the day my dad took me to see this, claiming it was ā€œthe new Star Wars movie!ā€

It really, really wasnā€™t. I do recall it had something to do with glowing walnuts in space, however.

4 Likes

After looking it up on IMDBā€¦ Sam Jaffe (The Asphalt Jungle, The Day the Earth Stood Still) was also in it! I really need to watch this again.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been promising myself that Iā€™ll set up a mini-marithon of Seven Samurai, Magnificent Seven, and Seven Beyond the Stars. From the sublime to the sub-lemonā€¦

1 Like

Bah, looks like shmeg.

Now, The Last Starfighter ā€“ THATā€™s an 80s sci-fi movie for kids of all ages I can get down with!

4 Likes

Disneyā€™s A Bugā€™s Life also recycled that plot, although ending with that might ruin the kitsch.

Worth it for Robert Vaughan playing the same role he did in Magnificent 7. George Peppard is good value too.

4 Likes

I saw it in the theater because our paperā€™s reviewer said it set out to be a great ā€œBā€ movie and had a lot of fun getting there. The cast is amazing and the jokes are all the right kind of stupid.

1 Like

Hey, it is possible to love both. But thank you for bringing up The Last Starfighter. As if the over-the-top silliness and hamfisted attempt to create a franchise (although Iā€™m still hoping for the sequel) werenā€™t enough there wasā€¦Robert Preston! Centauri lives!

1 Like
2 Likes

Even though I prefer the older Roger Corman flicksā€“my father once told me that for their first date he and my mother went to see a movie called Bucket of Blood, and asked if Iā€™d seen it, to which I replied, ā€œSeen it? Iā€™ve got it on DVD!ā€ā€“I loved Battle Beyond The Stars.

And itā€™s like so many other Corman films I also enjoy in that thereā€™s no explaining the appeal. Itā€™s not like a Kubrick film where you can intellectualize it. Youā€™re either one of those people who straps yourself in and enjoys the ride or one who stands on the platform saying, ā€œThereā€™s no ride there.ā€

5 Likes

Donā€™t forget to throw Pixarā€™s ā€˜A Bugā€™s Lifeā€™ in there!

Yeah saw this at the Tanforan 4 (San Bruno )way back when. I was such a Star Wars junkie I would watch anything that resembled it. I liked the Hot Dog scene!

I think James Cameron made some of the spaceships and spfx let me checkā€¦beep bop boopā€¦

Yep !!

Whoa John Sayles wrote the story!!

1 Like

Yeah, I saw this recently and wondered if Cameron was responsible for the shipā€™s breasts or testicles, whatever you want to call them (breasticles?). He also worked on Cormanā€™s Galaxy of Terror (which featured the infamous giant maggot rape scene, and yes, Iā€™m not exaggerating that at all), an Alien ripoff, several years before he got to work on Aliens.

ā€œA BATTLE BEYOND TIMEā€¦BEYOND SPACE.ā€

Terrible sci-fi movies from the 50s-80s or so really had a thing about being ā€œBEYONDā€ stuff, didnā€™t they? Time, Space, Good, Evil, Your Wildest Dreams and/or Imaginationā€¦ Granted, most of them limited it to the tagline, not the title.

That sounds like ā€œMessage From Spaceā€ to me. a very Star Wars-y ripoff of a flick.

1 Like

I always thought the scene where Shad finds Robert Vaughanā€™s character in the burned out bar/arcade/thing was an influence for Tom Pettyā€™s video for You Got Lucky. Of course, post apocalypse was all the rage by 1982, but when they enter the tent, it reminds me of the Robert Vaughn scene.

No dead hookers in the Tom Petty vid, tho.

Oh, and the female ship sounds a ton like Majel Barrett, despite not being her.

4 Likes

The ship looks like a Cronenburgian uterus.