Legendary punk label Dischord Records has entire catalog online for free

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/04/legendary-punk-label-dischord.html

13 Likes

I am a patient boy.

13 Likes

00000000000000000000000000a

7 Likes

I just surfed around their catalog, but couldn’t find any free releases. The prices are all great and I’m glad they are online, but this sale may have ended already.

Not free for downloading, but you can play everything on the bandcamp site.

5 Likes

“That’s a promise.”

3 Likes

Also, the Bandcamp revenue-share fees are only waived every first Friday until July. May just happened, so we have June and July coming. Maybe more beyond that—who knows.

2 Likes

ahhhhh the hidden Cornflake Girl Cover at the end of Jawbox’s self titled release…

2 Likes

it’s also definitely missing some stuff (Hoover’s Lurid Traversal of Route 7, e.g.) buuut

1 Like

I don’t really like punk, but Minor Threat are great fun.
I hope they make a million bucks. They won’t, but still.

2 Likes

“They can go fuck themselves” is what you’d expect founders of a punk label to say.

3 Likes

I added that bit at the end, too.

My headphones were on, so the kids were a bit confused.

ETA Just remembered the time I was pulling up to my house after a particularly long day at work, windows rolled down, and singing/screaming, “At least I’m fucking trying… WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU DONE!”

The folks next door seemed… concerned… with their new neighbor.

11 Likes

I might have to stream some Nation of Ulysses tomorrow…

6 Likes

i can say, without any doubt, that i ended up a much better person than i otherwise might have been, for having been lucky enough to have the harDCore scene (well represented by Dischord) be the punk rock around me, when i was exploring the deepest depths of being a disaffected late-1980s youth. seriously. afternoon benefit shows for good causes, that often were the “pre-game” gatherings for some righteous protesting (my first show was a Soul Side/Holy Rollers/Verbal Assault show, after which followed a “punk percussion protest” against apartheid outside the South African embassy)… anger and rage, but focused in a positive direction. i’m glad they recorded so much of it, and i’m glad it’s still readily available today.

8 Likes

Fugazi changed my life. Love that band.

2 Likes

@garethb2 This is old news: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/05/listen-to-dischord-records-e.html
and Bandcamp are not waiving their fees “through the summer,” only once a month.

1 Like

Here’s a flyer that we have at QZAP for a Punk Percussion Protest that was part of the 1993 MOW foe LGBT rights: https://archive.qzap.org/index.php/Detail/Object/Show/object_id/21

for context, this was adjacent to and part of the Riot Grrrl DC/VA scene, and the Dischord/Positive Force/NoU folks were instrumental in helping to make this happen.

4 Likes

Spelling not the same as the label, but…if MLP had thought about the spelling it would have been DisQord, anyway.

nice! Positive Force was such a great organization… Mark Anderson was one of the voices most responsible for waking my angry, nihilistic teenage self up to the idea that i could focus my energy along side other people and maybe actually change some things that were wrong.

2 Likes

Dischord, is available on Bandcamp for free streaming? While free, they’re hoping listeners will download the music to support the artists

Copied from the article. First paragraph