Legendary singer/songwriter, John Prine, has died from COVID-19

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/07/legendary-singer-songwriter-j.html

16 Likes

such a loss, such a loss.
i have so many tears tonight.

25 Likes

Prine playing Strombo’s house in Toronto from a couple of years ago. Good stuff!

17 Likes

He taught me so many lessons through his story songs.

13 Likes
11 Likes

His lack of a flag decal might get him into heaven. A man that was a good reminder that some country music isn’t made by wankers.

23 Likes

Excellent concert. What a force. He talked as if he was gargling a mouthful of gravel and yet sang in tune. Masterful lyrics. What a loss RIP John Prine.

8 Likes

Prine survived cancer twice and I can say that his music has helped my dad through his battle with leukemia. I wasn’t a fan before, but I’ve spent hours with my dad watching Prine’s videos and concerts on youtube. This news makes my heart feel like lead.

11 Likes

Jesus needed somebody to talk to.

12 Likes

Paradise always gives me chills. Makes me think of my departed parents who, before they had me, lived for a time in rural Kentucky.

17 Likes

What a life! What a gift!

3 Likes

Here is my favorite Prine song. Hopefully he is standing by peaceful waters.

9 Likes

Good bye old friend, may we meet again some sunny day.

13 Likes

Such a loss to American culture. We are lucky to have had him as long as we did.

8 Likes

In spite of ourselves we’ll end up a-sittin’ on a rainbow
Against all odds, honey we’re the big door-prize
We’re gonna spite our noses right off of our faces
There won’t be nothin’ but big ol’ hearts dancin’ in our eyes

7 Likes

I actually worked on that Austin City Limits show he performed on. Extremely humble, nice, soft spoken, gentle person.

8 Likes

When I heard the news he died my first thought was cancer, he was a heavy smoker for many years, and his voice was really getting rough the last decade or so.

He was a real ‘songwriter’s songwriter’-- he never had any huge hits but musicians loved him and envied his craft. My favorite recording of his is actually a live bootleg a friend of mine made several years ago. Prine’s studio albums from the 80’s on tend to be overproduced, but when he did the songs live with just a couple musicians backing him up he could really shine.

1 Like
5 Likes

My dad taught me to play Angel From Montgomery. First song I taught my son to play was Paradise.
My heart is heavy.

10 Likes

Really, really sad. I’ve learned several of his songs on guitar. I still can’t play ‘Hello in there’ except alone, because I cry every fucking time. How can a guy write something like that when he’s 23 years old?
A great poet, a great artist, and, from everything I’ve heard, a great guy.

We miss you, John.

8 Likes