LEGO announces biggest set ever, a world map with 11,695 pieces

I love me some XKCD, but I can’t stand people ragging on Mercator. It exists so a constant-bearing course can be plotted as a straight line on a flat map. It’s not the right thing for schoolrooms, but it’s very useful map.

4 Likes

Just dump all the bits on the floor and you have Alderaan.

17 Likes

If you make the map by putting the coloured pieces on it, surely you can simply shift the map any number of pieces to the left or right? Alternative projections will likely require a bit more thought, but this is Lego after all. Am expecting to see a Waterman Butterfly before the end of the summer.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of anybody liking these sets. I’m genuinely curious: what are you planning on doing with it? Just building and displaying? Taking it apart and rebuilding? Using the dots for some other larger project?

office decoration. I look forward to hearing how I’m using the set wrong too.

5 Likes

You have made a powerful enemy on this day. :expressionless:

2 Likes

Needs more @pesco

1 Like

external-content.duckduckgo.com

2 Likes

I am very curious to see what the instructions for this look like. Keeping all of the pegs in proper alignment seems like it would be infuriating at this scale, so I assume they’re done as individual sections and assembled at the end. That’s probably how they have alternate views; you just shift tiles from one end to the other.

ETA: Aah! I assumed that they would have different books for each view, but it just occurred to me that they could simply tell you to start from a different page for each view. “For North and South America alignment, start at page 55.”

I’m thinking way too much about this.

My Gall-Peters got inverted once. Surprisingly simple treatment, but I don’t think it’s appropriate to talk about here. I can say that it involves a Mohel and a bicycle pump.

2 Likes

Believe it or not, not every disagreement on the internet is a personal attack. I still don’t like the set! I still think it’s dumb! I’m glad you’re going to enjoy it!

“I don’t know why you are taking it so personally. I just said what you were excited about was gross and less fun than a lite-brite!”

1 Like

Geez, is Lego becoming a cult? it looks like an old Lite-Brite set. I was expecting better. There are great jigsaw puzzles that would serve that purpose better.

1 Like

Wait, are you saying that there’s a Lite-Brite cult?

1 Like

Wow. Too soon.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

1 Like

It’s great to see home accurately represented in LEGO form.
Screenshot_20210526-073550_Brave

(It is left as a problem for the student to figure out where home is. The earth-moon distance is 384,400 km)

2 Likes

Brothers Brick have their customary very in depth review, which should answer any questions. This picture gives a good overview though:

2 Likes

Looks kind of boring.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.