LEGO announces biggest set ever, a world map with 11,695 pieces

Originally published at: LEGO announces biggest set ever, a world map with 11,695 pieces | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Not 24.99

21 Likes

Holy crap I got all excited, but it’s actually $249.99. Whew.

4 Likes

Pretty much literally Eurocentric, of course.

3 Likes

It’s cool but the tile size makes it difficult to pin exact locations and doesn’t divide countries. That said i do like the look of it but for that price i’d be more keen to just buy a map

call me an ol’fart, but “biggest LEGO set ever” should have some bricks in it, shouldn’t it? (these are just one big rectangular array of …pegs and colored caps) (“You’re an old fart, you is!”) whhhy, back in my day we had an assortment of bricks and that was it - what they might be assembled into wasn’t specified - …and we loved it!

2 Likes

So gross. This and the other “portrait” sets (the beatles, star wars, etc) cater exclusively to collectors and are less fun than a lite-brite. It’s easy to design though, and will probably sell out regardless. Such a bummer.

2 Likes

i’m not a collector. I’m psyched about this. Stop looking down on what people like.

4 Likes

But then how will they let you know that their consuming habits are superior to yours! /s

Yeah… seriously… There are literally more important things than shitting on others tastes in toys… FFS…

6 Likes

the full description says you can arrange it 3 different ways… be interesting to see what they are.

maybe they’ll offer different globe projections after the fact too

1 Like

10 Likes

Here is the page for it, which gives you the different versions you can do, one of which is slightly less eurocentric maybe?

3 Likes

not too bad

4 Likes

No, no, you don’t understand. There is an objective threshold for “fun”, and putting colored pegs into a grid does not reach that threshold. So sayeth the gatekeepers, long may they whine.

5 Likes

though i was really hoping for a dymaxion projection

2 Likes

I wonder if there is a way to do that with what they give you? :thinking:

4 Likes

if the kit were actually $24.99 i’d definitely buy it and find out

3 Likes

Keep an eye on the boingboing store, where it’s sure to appear for 90% off any day now!

5 Likes

90% off of it’s non-msrp price of $2499.99, that’s how they get ya

3 Likes

How about an inverted Gall-Peters?

3 Likes