LEGO’s largest set ever: The Titanic

Originally published at: LEGO's largest set ever: The Titanic | Boing Boing

5 Likes

1:200 scale seems utterly amazing. This isn’t off by an order of magnitude?

2 Likes

Does it float?

6 Likes
17 Likes

It’s beautiful and I’d have absolutely no place to display it.

3 Likes

Spoiler alert
To a point.

5 Likes

let’see… google says the Titanic was 882foot_9inches…

echo “(882*12 + 9)/53.0” | bc -l

so 1:200 seems about right.
(but does it have the car deck with “Draw me like one of your French girls” going on?)

7 Likes

Something tells me this isn’t going to end well.

OH THEY SHOULD INCLUDE AN ICEBERG WHY DIDN’T THEY INCLUDE AN ICEBERG I AM DISAPPOINT

19 Likes

In the early 2000s I knew someone who was trying to amass enough Lego to build the Titanic to minifig scale. I ran into him years after, and he’d given up, he didn’t have the room in his apartment.

9 Likes

I wonder if the instructions will have the optional build plans to include the gashed side from the iceberg…

2 Likes

Seems about right. This post reminded me of the PAX 2016 lego replica of the USS Missouri that I took photographs of (it was at the World of Warships booth)… this was 1:35th scale:

This singer singing to the crowd of sailors is right behind the back guns, bottom quarter left of the first stitch:

Out of curiousity, I checked… 53" is exactly 1:200. :slight_smile: image

11 Likes

LEGO’s largest set ever: The Titanic

Achshully, if we are going by piece count, that would be the 11,695 piece world map. :wink:

Still it impressively edges out the now third largest 9,036 piece Colosseum, and dwarfs the largest Star Wars set, the 7,541 piece Falcon.

My largest is the 75060 Slave I at 1996 pieces.

4 Likes

That will be Lego’s next, even largerest set ever.

4 Likes

I’m disappointed and will wait for the 1:1 model to be offered. If you’re going to go then go big.

3 Likes

It’ll include a model Carpathia and a bunch of minifigs to rescue from the lifeboats.

2 Likes

Is it just me or is $630 really reasonable for this? I feel like I always wince a bit at lego prices, though the 3-in-one Creator line always seems priced just right.

That cross section is great, reminds me of the videos that were going around of cruise ships that were cross-cut and expanded.

Man I hope someone swedes up a lego stop-motion version of Cameron’s Titanic on one of these. Lego could at least hire someone to do a preview for the release…

3 Likes

Previously:

Which ties in nicely with:

5 Likes

pennywise stephen king GIF by Maudit

6 Likes

… is Cher.

8 Likes

Once it goes “out of print” it’ll probably go for quite a bit more on the secondary market, to be sure.

And yeah, it’d be $909 under the old “10 cents a brick” rule of thumb. Probably in part because this appears to be made of small bricks. Looks like there’s never been a lego set at over $799 MSRP either

So whenever the first $900 lego set is released, it will be a record breaker

4 Likes