Lego announces "Women of NASA" minifigs

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/03/lego-announces-women-of-nasa.html

7 Likes

Sally Ride, astronaut, physicist, and educator: A physicist by training, Ride became the first American woman in space in 1983.

Sally Ride is an amazing person but it will always be to our country’s great shame that there was a 20 year gap between “first woman in space” and “first American woman in space.” Seriously, NASA. WTF?

7 Likes

Missing an obvious candidate:

/sorry, sorry sorry, but in the words of Quint: You all know me, you all know how I make my livin’. And it’s been 31 years.

2 Likes

Just beans and rice again this month, huh?

3 Likes

Hey, I get free drinks and chicken strips sometimes too.

3 Likes

31 years and yet, still too soon.

9 Likes

That joke did seem like it came from a middle school cafeteria…

:wink:

4 Likes

All I can think of is “I don’t think chicken nuggets or strips had been invented yet when I was in middle school.” and that freaks me out.

3 Likes

Methuselah, is that you?

4 Likes

I feel like the Soviet space program deserves more love BTW.

As much as I genuinely do like young people for things like lack of bigotry, the music is mostly better, etc. The fact that I’m barely middle-aged and when I do material about being a vet half of the people in the room under 40 think I’m a Nam’ vet makes it hard not to go in hard on them.

4 Likes

Ride, Sally Ride

2 Likes

If this is like typical Lego sets, the “five women of NASA” will have three male and two female minifigs…

3 Likes

Alright, Trump, take it down a notch.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Privileged white male rage in 3…2…1…and, cue rape and death threats.

The design of these is spot on. I really like them. It’s a good concept but the execution is even better.

3 Likes

I will be buying at least three sets, including one for my classroom… however the display would be far more effective if they could also release a complementary men of Nasa set. Perhaps a 10 model scientists of Nasa bumper pack?

(The palaeontologist, chemist and astronomer set has pride of place in my office at the moment).

I would disagree with that. I’m afraid it’ll be like half the other Ideas series produced in limited availability, and outrageous on the secondary market (I’m looking at you Research Institute and Curiosity Rover :imp:)

I was going to link this myself, thank you for being of the same mind.

Jokes aside, you know that Trump wouldn’t be so found of Russia if it was still Soviet right.