LEGO Ideas Women of NASA

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/01/lego-ideas-women-of-nasa.html

2 Likes

No Katherine Goble Johnson? Is this because of the movie? Did the rights to her likeness get locked up by the studio?

Edit: Fixed the name.

2 Likes

Cue alt-right LEGO boycott.

8 Likes

She has been going by “Katherine Johnson” for nearly 60 years. “Goble” is neither her maiden name nor her current legal name.

1 Like

Sorry, I couldn’t remember her last name so I looked it up on Wikipedia. Go figure I hit on the wrong one.

2 Likes

Neat! But I wish the space shuttle was to scale.

1 Like

Shouldn’t Margaret Hamilton be labelled ‘1969’ bearing in mind it was her code on Apollo 11?

Personally I would not buy this for my daughter because of the emphasis on the word “women” in the title. I prefer products that are pro-women without singing about it. For instance the same Lego product (with the same people) but called something like, I don’t know, “Key People of Nasa” or something.

2 Likes

That would be awesome but it would also increase the cost of the kit by at least a couple orders of magnitude. Even the “Shuttle Adventure Set” costs 430 bucks and it’s still considerably smaller than true minifig-scale.

Very true. I really wish the Lego Death Star was to scale, but that would be ridiculous, wouldn’t it?

Nope, $24.99 at Amazon and at Lego. How’d you get your discount @jlw ? What am I missing? (I still ordered it today too!)

WIRED explored the plausibility of that idea for fun a few years back, their estimate was that a minifig-scale Death Star would take about 10 Trillion dollars worth of bricks at current market value. However they do note that in real life you’d probably save a few bucks with a bulk discount.

2 Likes

Price went up? Amazon witchcraft. I’m still waiting for a $120 Saturn V, not gonna order at $180.

Katherine Johnson didn’t give Lego the right to use her likeness, for whatever reason.

Got mine at the Lego store today. Apparently it sold out on Amazon and it’s all third-party jacked up prices now. But the Lego store in Bellevue Square had at least a dozen sets, Seattle folks!

1 Like

I love this, I love Lego, and I love highlighting women role models in STEM.
The first I heard of this set was this video: https://www.facebook.com/HuffPostWomen/videos/541263719551113/
The video is horribly inaccurate when it comes to Sally Ride. The Soviets put the first woman in space, Valentina Tereshkova, in 1963- 20 years before NASA would fly their first woman to space. So go NASA, go Sally Ride, but it is well worth remembering the many firsts, and continued successes, of the Soviet, now Russian Federation, Space Agency.

2 Likes

How about let her make that determination herself?

2 Likes

Let me rephrase that. I wouldn’t “voluntarily” buy it for my daughter. If she asks for it I wouldn’t have a problem.

Make it ‘key peeps of NASA’ with three women and one man. Bam.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.