LEGO introduces female scientist minifig! (And Yeti too!)

[Permalink]

And here she is working hard in a lab.

(not mine, I found it elsewhere on the internet)

5 Likes

Jazz musician? Blues Brother.

1 Like

That is a large popsicle. I wonder what flavour.

Tsk, tsk. Boiling chemicals without proper eye protection, coffee mug in close proximity to chemical storage and laboratory apparatusā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll get a few other corrections, but thereā€™s no real reason to refer to the LEGO scientist as a FEMALE scientistā€¦one wouldnā€™t say male scientistā€¦SCIENTIST will do! Thanks!

PS - is the scientist referred to as a ā€œfemale scientistā€ on the box?

3 Likes

If itā€™s the first one Lego has ever produced, doesnā€™t that become something of a relevant thing to note? The point of the article isnā€™t that Lego produces scientist minifigs; but that theyā€™ve historically produced only male scientists.

(As for the box, you can only get it in the ā€˜Mythical Creatures 2-packā€™ along with the Yeti, and the internal documentation refers to ā€˜lab co-edā€™.)

3 Likes

Both are excellent additions to the minifig universe!

Bah, in my day minifigs had one expression and we used our imaginations! Grumblegrumblegrumble.

But then, there are many who will say that it all went careening downhill (well before my time) the day they started including building instructions in the sets.

2 Likes

Just like a Real Scientist!

2 Likes

Yes, there is a reason. Iā€™ve clarified my post. Thank you.

Sheā€™s researching female chemistryā€¦

in my underwater lab

THAT HAS COME UNDER ATTACK BY PIRATES

QUICK, WE NEED PILOTS FOR THE MARTIAN BATTLE CRUISERS

1 Like

So the lab co-ed is as mythical a creature as the Yeti?

I dunno. Iā€™m pleased to see more female figures (and female heads, which is half the battle right there) appearing. Iā€™m hoping that it means Lego may be realizing that creating a separate product line for girls was not only somewhat offensive but Just Plain Dumb. But they do still seem to have some stereotype problems. Waitress? Bavarian lass with giant pretzel?

(Grandma I donā€™t mind as long as grandpa also exists.)

3 Likes

Nitrile gloves. Nice.

It is actually just a small Yetiā€¦ I am assuming yak or sheep flavored.

Florence flasks are better. Also, there needs to be a twisted tangle of glassware where the center glows ā€œEat At Joeā€™sā€ in the dark.

Yeti - rock on! Chick Scientist - you are fuckinā€™ kidding me sheā€™s the first one theyā€™ve put out.

1 Like

So the lab co-ed is as mythical a creature as the Yeti?

My very first thought when I saw this story.

1 Like

So when the Juno probe gets to Jupiter in 2016 (I note that itā€™s doing an Earth flyby October 9 2013), will there be reproductions of the 3 Lego figures strapped to it?

Jupiter, Juno, and Galileo.

Juno is holding a magnifying glass, though it looks kind of like a frying pan, leading me to believe sheā€™s about to wallop Jupiter with it ala Andy Cappā€™s wife.

Iā€™m expecting Pax Dickinson to tweet that Lego has released two mythical minifigs in 3ā€¦2ā€¦1ā€¦

You should check out the expression on the ā€˜hazmat guyā€™ minifig. Freaking hilarious!

3 Likes