LEGO step-by-step build: Ultimate Millennium Falcon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/23/lego-step-by-step-build-ultim.html

4 Likes

Didn’t we know someone who did something like this once?

2 Likes

As much as I love the new lego I keep seeing I keep thinking where the hell do I put it after it is built.

10 Likes

With serious AFOL - the ones who’d buy an ultimate collector’s series - Its a lot like tibetan sand painting. The art is not so much in the finished product, but in the doing.

Display isnt a problem if, after finishing it, showing it off and taking pictures, you break it down again into baggies. If you’re careful about labeling the baggies, you can lend it out for another AFOL to build, or build it again yourself.

If the goal is to put it on the shelf and never take it apart again, you might as well have used kraggle.

5 Likes

I really want to pick up one of these to do in a few years when my now 3yo son is old enough. I just haven’t worked up the courage to ask my wife if I can spend $800 on a lego set yet.

3 Likes

TACO Tuesday!

1 Like

BB posts an article about building a LEGO drone, then immediately posts an article about a LEGO Millennium Falcon. How are they not combined into a LEGO Millennium Falcon drone???

3 Likes

How about a library for lego sets? You borrow one, build it, and then dismantle it again. So you can not only enjoy building things, you also practice letting go.

A very sustainable idea, of which I’m sure Lego would not approve.

2 Likes

Same with puzzles:
Do it. Take a picture. Destroy it back in the box. Store it until you forget about it.

1 Like

Similar problem: I have a bunch of Star Trek models someone gifted me. Would love to put them together, but the apartment is so small enough already, can’t imagine where they’d get put afterward.

2 Likes

Always the ceiling. :grinning:

1 Like

I often contemplate that. But, if I seriously to start cluttering the ceiling with hobbies, it would take a serious toll on my spouse’s piece of mind.

1 Like

An oft overlooked detail of Greek mythology were the model ships of Damocles.

4 Likes

There are business models based around just that idea. They even feature the Millennium Falcon set on their front page.

I think there may be free lending libraries out there too but availability is probably more limited.

1 Like

Would it possibly “decay” like my kids Lego kits would? They would start off just like the cover of the box. Then slowly, bit by bit, parts would be picked off for some other project until, finally, the remainder (no longer recognizable) would end up in the generic Legos bin.

1 Like

Might want to correct that title to “LEPIN step-by-step build: Ultimate Millennium Falcon”.

I get that the original is expensive, which would probably explain why the OP got the cheaper knockoff LEPIN version… https://lepinworld.com/shop/lepin-star-wars/lepin-05132-ultimate-millenium-falcon/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.