Lego's new green-minded effort to collect and redistribute old bricks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/08/legos-new-green-minded-effor.html

5 Likes

Hooray! I’ll be redistributing mine to a certain wee beastie in my house in a year or two (he’s still in Duplo), but I’d love to hear about some cleaning techniques.

5 Likes

Workers are going to sort the bricks? They need a LEGO sorting machine.

4 Likes

I’m sure there are plenty of people near me that would take them, but this is nice to hear. My kids are now 11 and 8 and I have been begging my wife to let the nightmare end. OMG I am so sick of those things being underfoot and in every crevice of the house.

There’s ~50 years worth of Lego in my house… including a 1972 gears set and a 1973 kitchen set. We managed to extract almost all of the kitchen set a few years ago, a lesson in modern archeology of sorts. :grin: We’ve washed the parts with just dishwashing liquid before if they didn’t have a decal.

It’s good to hear there’s a formal re-use program, but I hope that in 15 or 20 years or so that it will all come out of the boxes again.

5 Likes

I used to put them in one of those mesh/net baggies for washing delicate clothing and then just bung it into the dishwasher, low temp/short cycle setting.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try that.

1 Like

Why sort? Isn’t the fun of LEGO building things from scratch?

Building from scratch is fun, searching for a piece of a particular shape and colour can start to drag.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.