How one Lego reseller built an artificial intelligence to sort bricks

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/28/how-one-lego-reseller-built-an.html

3 Likes

Scientific progress goes “boink”

2 Likes

I think he could also run a nice service business, too. I’ve got two 20 gallon laundry buckets full of Lego detritus that I’m just too lazy to sort myself.

3 Likes

I sort once in a while. It’s very zen, but I will never tire of trying to find that one part amongst all the little parts.

2 Likes

It’s just so damned time consuming, and as soon as the job is done, you just know your kid is going to get busy undoing your sorting work. Assuming you have a kid, of course. :wink:

I only went as far as attempting to pull all the minifig bits into one bin because I was tired of the sprog complaining he couldn’t find Particular Batman or Special Ninjago Guy. That was in April. That bin is now indistinguishable from all the others. ::whompwhomp::

1 Like

The builder’s blog, with some video is linked from the IEEE article. It doesn’t seem like he has nearly enough bins.

My kiddo’s lego is organized into one of these things, and it’s still not granular enough for our taste.

1 Like

If he is an active reseller, say maybe on bricklink, I wonder why there is no mention in the article or his blog of any of the existing brick/plate/etc databases? I guess I dont know enough about AI sorting to know if generating his own parts list works better than comparing bricks to the existing list/s.

This brings me to the question of how detailed of a sort was it? I’m no where near the Felix Unger level with my own sort but I definitely have a good number of boxes by which I classify parts.

1 Like

Where does one buy two metric tons of Lego?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.