A masterclass in using the LEGO Brick separator

Originally published at: A masterclass in using the LEGO Brick separator | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Those are cool techniques, but I doubt many people have entire diorama-scale setups. They’re mostly specific to that type of build. As satisfying as it looks to remove 50 smooth tiles in one go, I doubt I’ll ever have occasion to try it. This video goes over the core uses that most users will encounter.

2 Likes

When I got my first one, I think in a Lego Slave I kit, I was like Jack Skellington in Christmas Town.

“What’s this, what’s this?
It separates bricks with out a care.
What’s this, what’s this?
No more using teeth just like a bear.”

7 Likes

A list of toys I wish I had as a kid…

3 Likes

Yeah there were no brick separators when I was a kid. If you have ever tried to separate two waffle-back flats you KNOW hardship.

10 Likes

When did they come out with this?!?

I wanna time machine so I can go back in time, smother baby Billy Joel in his crib, give little kid me one of these Lego thingies, and then kill Hitler.

6 Likes

But how are kids going to learn how to inappropriately use their teeth and fingernails. There were so many different and frustrating techniques kids, myself included, came up with to separate stuck lego bricks. How are they going to get teeth marks on their Lego now?

Humor aside. Lego is expensive. I bought random Lego by the pound, sorted out the non-Lego, and then I bought 10 of these brick separators because my kids will not suffer like I did.

4 Likes

Kids these days have it so easy. We used to have to walk uphill, barefoot, in a snow storm, both ways, to separate flat 2x2 plates.
{get off my green baseplate}

9 Likes

Give baby Hitler some 2x6 bricks and let nature takes its course…

1 Like

a “LEGO separator”?? in MY day, we used our teeth on those stuck bricks and we LIKED IT.

7 Likes

Yet another Youtube video that could have been just as effective without the annoying voice over.

1 Like

I imagine most of the amazon products with names like KHMHJOY would not survive the shear forces this tool looks like it would generate. I have never broken a lego.

1 Like

I think this guy just likes to talk about his Lego. It didn’t strike me as the usual annoying YouTube voice.

There may not be a lot of flat-plate dioramas, but LEGO has a lot of DOTS kits now, and that flat edge is going to be super handy!

Batman example.

1 Like

It officially came out in 1988, but it was a long time before they percolated out to most people and longer still until many of us figured out what it was and all the things it could do. Even longer for people like me to believe how well it works, even on the really tough stuff, like 2x8 plates that have been stuck together for weeks.

They started throwing them into more and more sets over the years, until most people had two or three. For me personally, it wasn’t until the mid-aughts that I really grokked the full value of that tool.

3 Likes

I still think they’re too obscure and inaccessible. I was at Legoland in Denmark last year. The hotel had a shop that didn’t carry them. Inside the park I did eventually find them in the main store, but I think half the employees I asked didn’t know they carried them and they were tucked away.

And not enough sets come with it. As an adult I don’t even buy or build much, but I made sure to send a few to my nephews during their Lego years. Otherwise I don’t think they would know about or had access to them.

1 Like

Lol, yeah, still have my kid-era LEGOs. Have teeth marks in a few of them. My kits are now pristine. Or at least, no teeth marks.

1 Like

I’ve wondered what the criteria is for sets including them. I assume it’s price point. I never saw one until I was middle-aged and started buying the adult-targeted super deluxe sets. Suddenly I ended up with half a dozen of the things. I suspect that’s not an accidental correlation. They seem to throw one in with all the high-end sets, but I don’t know where the cut-off is.

Even a brown one?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.