Lemurs get high by licking toxic millipedes and rubbing them on their bodies

Just for the record: many lemurs smell strongly of Maggi. Ask anyone who had some on their head and shoulders.

And please don’t lick them.

2 Likes

I was on a nature walk with a nature buff who picked up a millipede, harassed it a little bit, and had the rest of us smell the results. Almonds. I’d read enough Agatha Christie to know what that meant. I didn’t think to lick it.

1 Like

Is Maggi a National Geographic photographer?

5 Likes

Just the drooling poisonous wide-eyed Global South we needed.

You know millipedes are a gateway bug.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Most millipedes produce either cyanide or benzoquinone for their defense. Those definitely will not work for humans. They’re unpleasant.

I wonder if lemurs really that different from us. I can certainly see reacting to those things, but it’s kind of hard to imagine it being a high. Do either of them penetrate the blood-brain barrier, or act at all similar to neurotransmitters, or anything of the sort?

1 Like

The benzoquinone helps kill parasites in the lemurs’ fur and biting the millipedes causes them to excrete much more of it, but I can’t find any reference describing known compounds from the millipedes that would produce an enjoyable effect in the lemurs (except for the relief of having fewer parasites).

2 Likes

Yeah but what would you do if I sang out of tune??? Hmmmm???

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.